Author Topic: Post Office  (Read 5452 times)

aikidoguy

Post Office
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:37:06 AM »
I often have to stop by the Post Office.  I hesitate going into the parking lot because I am not clear about the laws concerning the US Postal Service parking and my concealed handgun.  Can I leave my gun locked in the car while I go into the post office, or should I look at parking in the street and walking to post office from there?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Post Office
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:01:53 AM »
IT IS ILLEGAL TO TAKE YOUR WEAPON ONTO POST OFFICE PROPERTY...this includes the parking lot.

This is a post office regulation.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
As a follow-up to the previous post:

There is a case you may have heard of from a U.S. District Court in Colorado concerning the carry of firearms in the parking lot of a post office. This case specifically affects only the post office in Aurora, Colorado, though perhaps it could be argued affects post offices in the jurisdiction of that U.S. District Court.

However, it does not affect the general regulation of the prohibition of firearms on post office property that applies to all other post offices that are outside of that court's jurisdiction. This court made specific findings about why it felt that the regulations did not apply to the Aurora, Colorado Post Office parking lot.

wstev20411

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 01:26:23 AM »
I've read the sign at the post office that states you cannot possess on post office property unless you are on official post business.   Yet I see police officers do it everyday.   What gives them this authority or does it fail into the gray area where who is going to say anything.  I understand that police officers are commissioned by the state and are considered a police officer anywhere in the state but does that carry over to federal property.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:06:28 PM »
Police officers who are engaged in their duties as police officers are exempted from firearms laws, and this exemption applies to federal property as well, though this exemption only applies when they are on active duty, and not 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

centuryhouse

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »
This has always confused me: you can lawfully ship a firearm via USPS, yet it is illegal to carry it onto their property?

From what I read, the law doesn't specify that handguns may not be carried, it says firearms. No distinction is made, logic dictates that if one is legal the other is as well, and vice versa.

The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the question.

You may mail a long gun through USPS to a resident of your own state. However, you run into the conundrum you described where, because the post office is considered a federal facility, firearms are prohibited on its premises.

Therefore, we recommend using a contract carrier like FedEx or UPS to avoid the conundrum altogether. Remember that handguns are not mailable through USPS but only through a contract carrier.

Hope that helps centuryhouse.

centuryhouse

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
Thanks! It is confusing....but welcome to federal regulations, eh? ;-)