Author Topic: Friend is a non CHL - carry on canoe trip?  (Read 3483 times)

40cal

Friend is a non CHL - carry on canoe trip?
« on: March 26, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »
Hello,

I am a CHL holder and will be carrying my firearm concealed on a three day trip on the angelina river in Texas. My friend would like to bring his handgun as well, but I cannot find any indication as to the legality of this, except that he can carry in his boat, concealed, without a CHL. What about at the campsites? They are primitive sites built by the US corps of engineers. Can he legally carry concealed in a campsite under our control?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Friend is a non CHL - carry on canoe trip?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »
40cal,

If you will be in any state parks, you as a CHL holder may carry. The state parks have issued an opinion that says you may not carry a handgun in without a CHL however, so your friend will have a problem.

If you are only going to be on Army Corps of Engineers property, you will need to call them and check their policy on firearms. Some allow firearms in the campsite, some do not (even if you have a CHL).

Thank you for your question.

Vswbcjik

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »
Thank you for your posts! Very interesting!

jayleno214

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:47:23 PM »
what about the legality of having a handgun concealed on a kayak or canoe without a chl while fishing. ? what about without fishing? local park rules aside (fully understand that their rules override state laws) does state law allow on shore, on the ground conceal carry while fishing? (crocodile attack)

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »
Hi Jayleno214,

Keep in mind this is all in the context of the state park, which requires you have a concealed handgun license to carry within the park. Therefore, if you do not have a chl, you will not be able to take your handgun into the park. Outside of the park, you are allowed to carry concealed in your watercraft, but if you are in the state park, you must observe its rules. Additionally, regarding fishing, you are only allowed to carry while fishing, without a chl, as long as the handgun is one commonly used in the activity. Unfortunately, fishing with your handgun is not that popular, as most people use a reel and bait. Therefore, you would not be able to claim this exception either.