Author Topic: Summer RV travel  (Read 4179 times)

Summer RV travel
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »
This summer we will be traveling in our RV (truck and trailer) thru the following states, NM, CO, Utah, Idaho and Oregon.  Also possibly into Washington state, CA and NV.  Normally I carry my loaded hand gun in the truck, then move it into the trailer at night.  Will my TX CHL be valid in the listed states?  Is there anything I should do differently while traveling?  What about concealed carry in public?

Thanks,
Larry
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

ceejmo

• View Profile
Re: Summer RV travel
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:32:44 PM »
I'm not a lawyer but,
Oregon, Washington, California and Nevada do not reciprocate Texas CHL. Colorado only reciprocates Texas CHL if you are a Texas resident with a Texas CHL.

http://http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 03:57:18 PM »

Your CHL is not recognized in Oregon, California, Washington State or Nevada. Here is a breakdown of how you may carry in your vehicle in those states.
Oregon- May carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle only if it is visible in a belt holster.
Washington state- Loaded handguns may not be carried anywhere in the vehicle. Must be unloaded and locked in a commercial gun case
Nevada- You may have a loaded handgun in plain view, or secured in the glove box or center console. You may not conceal the handgun on your person while in the vehicle.
California- Handguns must be unloaded and locked in a commercial gun gas in your trunk or other “secured storage compartment” of your vehicle. You may not have any firearm there with over a 10 round magazine.

In the states that recognize your CHL, you may carry concealed in public, but you should be familiar with the laws in those states as you must abide by their laws, not ours. Of specific concern, New Mexico only allows you to conceal one firearm on your body at any given time. Colorado does not allow any magazine over 15 rounds. In all of the states you mentioned, assume that any “no gun” or gun buster sign has the force of law.

You may give us a call with any further questions about travel and we are happy to go into more detail.

Vswbcjik

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »
Thank you for posting this information!)