Author Topic: putting down your dog? (euthanasia)  (Read 4038 times)

wipiid

putting down your dog? (euthanasia)
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:51:03 PM »
I was curios about the right to euthenise your pet at home.  i know in some states its perfectly legal, but was curious about TX.  i found http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... HS.821.htm
which covers CHAPTER 821. TREATMENT AND DISPOSITION OF ANIMALS

From what i can tell it only covers what a vet must do.  can you provide me any insight as to doing this.

For details might be grim:
Dog escaped yard, he ran into a busy road and got hit by a truck.  back hit center of bumper and he did about 4-5 rolls under the truck and trailer missing all the tires.  he was able to run back home, where he promptly layed in his bed and hasnt really moved since.  
he is still very well alive, but not sure what type of internal damage might have been done.  his hind quarters are very sensitive and at times sounds like labored breathing.

I am asking this with a very heavy heart, and in no way do i want this to sound callas but put very simply we can not afford a vet visit.  Just had a child and major hand surgery after an accident i had in the garage.

EDIT: Obviously i am asking here as depending on the outlook, it would entail shooting my dog.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: putting down your dog? (euthanasia)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
wipiid,

In Texas, you run the risk of committing a series of crimes by euthanizing your pet with your firearm; for instance, Animal Cruelty, and/or Discharge of a Firearm (city or county ordinances may prohibit such an action). I would advise against putting your dog down with a firearm, if for no other reason than potential criminal liability. It could wind up that you spend much more money paying off a fine for breaking the law than at the  veterinarians.

I hope you found this information helpful. Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

davlanders

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 08:33:36 AM »
If it's strictly a money issue and you live in a city with an animal control division they will often euthanize animals for their citizens at no charge.

Vswbcjik

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 04:42:25 PM »
I really liked this information.