Author Topic: Private School Property in PA with CHL  (Read 1912 times)

ut4552a

Private School Property in PA with CHL
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:45:57 PM »
Is there a distance surrounding a Private School one cannot carry in PA ?  Some Private Schools are adjacent to Churches where it is legal to carry, thus the question.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Private School Property in PA with CHL
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:50:33 PM »
ut4552a,

"School grounds” are off limits. Pennsylvania law prohibits possession of a firearm “in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.”

The law doesn’t say anything about what the building or property is being used for at the time. So even if it is Sunday, and the school building is used for church, it is still off limits. There is no relevant case law suggesting otherwise.

Some argue that the state law provides an exception for those with a valid License to Carry Firearms. The law provides a specific defense if  “the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose. (sic)”

What exactly qualifies under “other lawful purpose” is not entirely clear. In December of 2012, Dr. Charles King of Somerset County ?who held a valid License to Carry Firearms? was charged with possession of a weapon on school property for simply carrying while picking his child up from school. He was ultimately accepted into a pretrial intervention program,  Alternative Rehabilitative Disposition (“ARD”), and as a result there is no case law on this issue.

We recommend that everybody, even those with a License to Carry Firearms, treat any and all “school grounds” as off limits, even if the school grounds are not being used for school activities.

Pennsylvania law does not provide a specific surrounding distance which is off limits.

However, it is vital to note that under federal law it is a crime to knowingly possess a firearm in, or on the grounds of, or within 1,000 feet of a public, parochial or private school. However, there is an exception for those with a valid state license (such as our Pennsylvania License to Carry a Firearm).

But bottom line while a Pennsylvania LTCF might exempt licensees from the 1,000 foot federal prohibition, they remain subject to the state law, and school grounds are off limits.

jenna87

Re: Private School Property in PA with CHL
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 01:43:12 AM »
Well, I don’t know about average size of play grounds in schools. I know only about Phoenix preschool as I have enrolled my kids to this preschool. They have a huge playground and loads of group activities are organized in that ground.