Author Topic: Texas CHL traveling through Louisiana to New Orleans  (Read 3185 times)

grillmaster

Texas CHL traveling through Louisiana to New Orleans
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »
I am a Texas licensed CHL holder.  We will be traveling through Louisiana to the Port of New Orleans and parking our vehicle on the Port of New Orleans cruise port parking lot.  I plan on carrying my 40 caliber automatic, with Federal Premium 265 grain hollow point Hydra Shok JHP.  Weapon holds a maximum of 6 rounds.

Are there any nuances I need to be aware of, such as:

1.  hollow points?
2.  type of ammo, grain, hollow point versus FMJ
3.  can the magazine be locked into the weapon with rounds in the magazine?
4.  can a round be in the chamber?
5.  can the weapon be stored in the vehicle center console, concealed, on cruise port parking terminal while away on a cruise and does it have to be unloaded?

I already understand the weapon may not be carried into any restaurant serving alcohol.  I also understand, that any sign a proprietor posts, restricting any weapons on the property is valid (LA legal).  For example, it does not have to follow any specific design or language!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

grillmaster

Re: Texas CHL traveling through Louisiana to New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
Still no response within this thread from Law Shield!

This morning, July 3, 2015, received a blast email to all registrants from Law Shield with this article.  Totally confusing, as weapon must be unloaded and weapon and ammo need to be in separate containers.  We need Law Shield to expand upon this.  Does this apply to Texas CHL registrants traveling from Texas through Louisiana, which is basically constitutional open carry?  Currently, I carry in the vehicle concealed, locked and loaded.  According to the article this isn't allowed in other states while traveling.  Port Authority police stated weapon ok to be stored in vehicle while away on cruise and in cruise port parking. Loaded or unloaded wasn't an issue.  

Article ====>   http://www.uslawshield.com/3-things-eve ... _July_2015

"“Safe Passage” provision, or 18 U.S.C. § 926A.

There Are Three Conditions You Must Meet to Take Your Firearms With You

The first condition is that any firearms you are transporting must be unloaded and locked in the trunk of the vehicle or in another container that is out of reach or not immediately accessible. Any ammunition must also be locked in the trunk or another container. This does not include the glove box or center console!

Second, your journey must begin and end in states where your possession of the firearms is legal. So, for example, if you begin your journey in your home state of Texas and are looking to drive to Grandma’s house in Kansas, where permitless concealed carry is legal, you will be protected as long as you meet the other two conditions. However, if you begin your journey in Texas and are driving to New Jersey for vacation, where a state-issued license is required to even own a firearm, you will not be protected under the Safe Passage provision.

Lastly, you must be “traveling.” This applies especially while going through a firearms-hostile state. Unfortunately, the term “traveling” is not defined in federal law. Courts have interpreted it narrowly to indicate that a person must not stop in one place for “too long.” Unfortunately, how long is “too long” is not entirely clear. In an actual case decided in 2013, a man was convicted for illegal possession of his shotguns and rifles secured in zippered cases, after he stopped for a brief nap in New Jersey while moving from Maine to Texas. The best course of action is to get through firearms-hostile states as quickly as possible."

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Texas CHL traveling through Louisiana to New Orleans
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 12:05:47 PM »
grillmaster,

Louisiana does not have any restriction on type of ammo (except armor piercing, of course). Your firearm may remain loaded, a round chambered, concealed in the car (center console is fine) so long as the port of New Orleans does not post notice that firearms are restricted in the parking lot. If they do impose this restriction, you’re not totally out of luck. The parking lot bill in Louisiana is actually very gun friendly:

A public or private business may restrict firearms in the parking lot if the lot is restricted access through use of a gate, fence, security point, or signage AND the business provides either a storage facility to secure your unloaded firearm on site, OR provides an alternative parking lot which allows firearms.

In plain English, if the lot is restricted access and they want to ban firearms, they MUST give you a way to store your firearm while you are gone. That might be a locked storage container on site, or it may be an alternative place to park.

Travelling protections do not apply to you because you have a Texas CHL that is recognized in your destination state. Enjoy your trip!