Author Topic: Tornado Rigs  (Read 1793 times)

cherock

Tornado Rigs
« on: June 27, 2015, 11:56:33 PM »
According to what I understand now, the new law for Open Carry which Govenor Abbott signed recently has the provision to carry on Belt or Shoulder rig. I have a tornado rig, that attaches to a belt with leg straps to secure the rig. According to the Law, does this rig qualify as a legal holster?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Mike

Re: Tornado Rigs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
I have a related question. The new law seems specific. If you carry in a ankle holster, either as primary or backup are you excluded from the protections of the law for printing or unintentional display?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »
cherock,

A holster that is connected to a person’s belt or is carried around the waist area should be considered a belt holster.  Since a tactical drop leg holster is connected to a belt so that it doesn’t slide down the thigh, I would think that it qualifies.  However, that is just my opinion, there may be police, prosecutors and judges who have a different opinion. Only time will tell if we begin to see arrests based upon the type of holster a handgun is carried in. If you want to play it safe, stick to an OWB (or IWB with a tucked-in shirt).

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »
Mike,

Currently, printing and unintentional reveals are not a criminal act regardless of where the firearm is concealed. It can be difficult to convince some officers of this however, and it is often a “beat the rap, but not the ride” situation. That being said, reveals (intentional, printing and unintentional) at the belt or the shoulder should cause no problems after January 1 because those are the legal manners in which you may openly carry. An intentional reveal of an ankle holster with remain a criminal act, as will any display “in a manner calculated to alarm.”