Author Topic: Shipping a Handgun  (Read 6902 times)

Seamus6869

Shipping a Handgun
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
I need to ship a handgun from DFW (where I live) to my cousin in the Houston area. I checked the BATFE and this is completely legal. However, I can not find a carrier that will accept the package. I was just now refused from two separate FedEx shipping centers. Does anyone know how to ship a handgun like this? Is it even possible anymore?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping a Handgun
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:20:17 PM »
Seamus6869,

The U.S Post Office will not ship it, nor the two FedEx locations, but our best advice is to keep looking for a local carrier who will ship it, as it is legal.

Thanks for the question.

chino71

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:54:16 AM »
You may have to bite the bullet and pay a FFL to ship it for you.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
When I shipped a gun back to S & W for repair, I used FedX but was told I had to take it to a main office, not just a shipping center or branch location. (In Longview there was only one location and that was downtown) I was using a shipping label provided by S & W but it didn't seem special. I did declare what was being shipped and 1st was told " Oh no" but within 10 seconds of her walking behind a wall and asking someone, the clerk returned and said "OK".  The weapon was returned by FedX also.

CDR

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »
Prior to getting my FFL, I experienced the pleasure of shipping a firearm back to the manufacturer. There are a few things that I discovered during the process. 1) most shipping company store fronts (a.k.a. a FedEx Store or UPS Store) will NOT accept a firearm for shipment. In fact, I was directed by the manufacturer to go to a "terminal" only. 2) Pre-package the firearm in a plain box, with a pre-printed shipping label. Use FedEx.com or UPS.com to print the label. I prefer UPS 2nd Day Air, which means you want to ship it on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, so that it won't be sitting in a warehouse over the weekend.  3) always insure the shipment, & 4) the shipment MUST be signed for by an adult age 21 or above.

Also, there is no need to discuss the contents of the package with the shipper. And, don't ship any ammo in the package with the firearm. Ammo requires special labeling.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 06:37:36 AM »
Sounds like a lot of trouble.  I shipped a handgun back to Taurus a few years ago and simply took it to the Post Office.  The clerk asked me what was in the package and I said a gun - I was sending it back to the manufacturer for repair.  No problem, he said, as long as it is going back to the factory and in the original package.  Taurus shipped it to a gun shop I had indicated and I picked it up there.

Endrio

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
I attend a by-monthly discussion group at a local eatery. I know there are several people who attend who are not comfortable around guns. I am usually carrying when I attend; but, legal issues aside, out of courtesy to them I never mention that fact or call attention to my weapon in any way. Concealed means concealed what they don't know won't bother them. I live in a senior citizen apartment complex and I know that many folks there would not be comfortable around me if they knew I was carrying. Here, again, they don't know and I don't tell them.