Author Topic: school zones & black powder  (Read 3003 times)

blackpowder

school zones & black powder
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »
Would I be in violation of federal or Texas law if I entered a school zone while carrying a concealed replica of an antique black powder pistol?
(Loaded of course.)

post office parking lot?

post office?

court house?

federal property in general?

I have a concealed carry permit. Would I be required to carry the permit under such circumstances?

Do any of the 30.0x or 51% laws apply to black powder pistols?

To what extent would Texas Law Shield defend me if called upon?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: school zones & black powder
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »
blackpowder,

None of the Texas gun laws apply to an antique-replica black powder pistol, as the Texas law specifically exempts them from its classification of “firearm.” Thus, school zones, 51%, 30.06, courthouses, etc. are all on-limits to black powder pistols. Federal law provides even more protection, in that the federal law does not limit its exemption for black powder pistols to antique replicas. As far as federal law is concerned, a modern black powder (as well as an antique) pistol is not a firearm. So generally speaking, federal property allows for the carry of black powder pistols, and the post office specifically adopts this definition of firearm in its own regulations.

blackpowder

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »
With respect to the lawful carry or use of a black powder pistol, to what extent would Texas Law Shield defend me if called upon?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »
blackpowder,

You are covered to the same extent with your black powder pistol as with your other firearms. If you are arrested for lawfully carrying or lawfully defending yourself with your BPP, TLS has your back.