Author Topic: Twin Peaks issue...  (Read 1999 times)

bilgerat57

Twin Peaks issue...
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:04:20 PM »
I'm sure everyone is aware of the events that transpired at the Twin Peaks restaurant in Waco Texas. I'm told that some of those arrested were charged with carrying 'concealed' weapons. Those 'weapons' were actually vest extender chains, wallet chains, key chains (approx. 8 to 10 inches long), and steel toed boots. As a TLS member and a CHL holder, if I were to be charged for having those types of weapons while carrying my lawful handgun or not, would I still be eligible for representation? I'm not even sure how the determination that those items were weapons was arrived at, but I'm sure fighting a charge like that could get expensive very quickly.......  I'm not affiliated with an MC but I do ride a motorcycle with the Patriot Guard.  I normally wear most of the items mentioned (except for the boots) so it's a matter of some concern.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Twin Peaks issue...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:14:37 PM »
bilgerat57,

As far as I know, the men in Waco were universally charged with something called Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity. This charge may cover a wide variety of crimes—everything from a small shoplifting ring, to mob/gang activity, or even white collar crime. If any of them were charged with a weapons crime for the things you mentioned, these charges should be quickly thrown out as none of those items are prohibited weapons in Texas. I believe what is happening is that the state is alleging that the possession of these items is simply evidence that they went to Twin Peaks with the intent to engage in violence and other criminal activity. Typical examples of prohibited weapons in Texas are items such as a blackjack, nightstick, mace, tomahawk, dagger, dirk, bowie knife, and knuckles. That list is not exhaustive, but chains and steel toed boots do not fall into any of the prohibited weapons categories.  The president of TLS evaluates every incident on a case-by-case basis to determine coverage. If you were arrested for the possession of these items, he would look at the specific facts and circumstances surrounding your arrest and make a coverage decision. With that said, when the rights of our members are violated by police, we are not in the business of backing down.

bilgerat57

Re: Twin Peaks issue...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 11:48:29 PM »
I appreciate the info. I'm not planning on needing the service, but it's nice to know what the parameters are!  *grin*