Author Topic: Homeowner discharges firearm to scare off car burglars  (Read 11448 times)

dhoobler

Homeowner discharges firearm to scare off car burglars
« on: August 18, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
I received this today from the Friendswood Police Department.  I would like to know if the homeowner's conduct was proper.

Residents who live in the 800 block of Lochmoor got an early and surprising wakeup call when a homeowner discharged several rounds to scare off a burglar.  Police received a call at 3:52 a.m. on August 18 for a burglary in progress followed by shots fired.

A child was in his bedroom when he noticed a shadow of a person go by his window followed by a banging noise. The child woke his father, who grabbed his revolver to defend his family.  He went into his sonís room and started banging on the window to scare away a suspect who was standing at the front door. The homeowner opened the front door to find his surveillance camera dangling by a wire. Then, he went into the front yard and saw the suspect standing in a neighborís yard. Thatís when the homeowner discharged his weapon twice.

The suspect was a white male, mid -20s, approximately 6 feet tall, with short hair and clean shaven. He was wearing basketball type shorts and a light-colored muscle shirt.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

CongoHarry

• View Profile
Re: Homeowner discharges firearm to scare off car burglars
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »

"Works for me!"

Umm...no.  Ammo's expensive.  911 is free.  If you want a noise maker to "scare off" a burglar get an air horn or Wiener Whistle.  He did right by first calling it in.  The next step is to stay put.  Don't go looking for trouble.  "Trouble" will have the tactical advantage out there in the dark.  Also, "friendly fire" will ruin the evening for everybody.  You don't want to be the first thing emergency responders encounter out there in the dark, wandering around with a gun in your hand.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 05:13:05 PM »
Quote from: "CongoHarry"

"Works for me!"

Umm...no.  Ammo's expensive.  911 is free.  If you want a noise maker to "scare off" a burglar get an air horn or Wiener Whistle.  He did right by first calling it in.  The next step is to stay put.  Don't go looking for trouble.  "Trouble" will have the tactical advantage out there in the dark.  Also, "friendly fire" will ruin the evening for everybody.  You don't want to be the first thing emergency responders encounter out there in the dark, wandering around with a gun in your hand.
Well said
I will be surprised if they don't charge him for negligent discharge

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:07:05 PM »
Some good points but I wonder if the facts have been presented completely. Title mentions car burglery but story as printed says nothing about cars. Don't see where story actually says father called 911 1st. Parts of story sound a little like a police report but others sound like a newspaper report and I always wonder about what isn't in a newspaper report. I agree that it was risky going outside - especially with a child left in house - don't know if other parent or occupants inside by story. Guess I'm skeptical we're hearing the whole story so hesitate to totally blast the guy.