Author Topic: What holster brand do you prefer to use for conceal carry.  (Read 37702 times)

taytrho

What holster brand do you prefer to use for conceal carry.
« on: February 28, 2014, 05:09:39 PM »
I'm one of those weirdo's that keeps thinking I'll get a holster as a preset, so I've been lose carrying inside the belt of my pants (not loaded nor ready to fire of course). I have yet to purchase a holster, but I know I need one as soon as I can. I need to stop putting off the hope someone will use my need for gift idea. But some useful input would be great. I've currently got a Springfield XDm 9mm 3.8.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

JoshM

Re: What holster brand do you prefer to use for conceal carr
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »
Check out kydex holsters.  I prefer those.

opsh8r

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 02:23:59 AM »
The previous gentleman mentioned kydex holsters.  A good kydex manufacturer is Crossbreed.  Personally, I like leather holsters.  For me they don't wear the finish of the gun nearly as much (any holster will wear the finish, but a leather or lined holster will help with that).  I also found that kydex wasn't as comfortable or flexible for my liking, as far as the way it pushes against my body.  You can get some reasonable leather holsters through a few large scale dealers such as Galco, Don Hume, El Paso Saddlery and Bianchi, to name a few.

If you are from the Houston area and like to give your money to local manufacturers instead of the big guys, check out Tucker Gunleather and Hoffner's Holsters.  Tucker will be more expensive than Galco.  Hoffner is a local HPD SWAT guy who makes holsters in his spare time.  He has both leather, kydex, and hybrid holsters.  

Two of the more expensive but well known holster makers are Mitch Rosen and Milt Sparks.  They make great holsters and the Sparks Summer Special might be the easiest riding and most comfortable holster I own, and that's with a full size 1911.  The nicer leather holsters are definitely worth the money if you have it to spend, but if you're on a budget Galco, Hume, etc.  are excellent options.  Also, frequently you can find slightly used holsters on a well known auction site for good prices.  

You also have to consider whether you want to wear the gun Inside the Waistband (IWB/ITP) or outside (OWB).  Then there's shoulder holsters and pocket carry, but for the weapon you mentioned it's probably too big for pocket carry.  For my body shape (big gut, no butt) I like IWB most of the time, but your particular body shape and clothing choices will be a main factor in what holster is best for you.

One of the major things that people forget about (including me) when they first start carrying is a good carry belt.  A regular belt you get at a retail store is not designed to carry the weight of a gun, flashlight, spare magazines, etc. that you will probably want to carry.  Most if not all the manufacturers above offer carry belts, but one of the cheaper but excellent options is the Aker gun belt.  It has a polymer insert and is double stitched.  You can probably find it in the $40 to $50 range on the internet.  I also have a belt or two from Tucker and they are excellent, but were in the $200 neighborhood due to the extras I wanted.  Oh, and if you decide to carry IWB your belt will need to be at least 2 inches longer than normal to account for the holster inside your waistline.

Lastly, the most important thing you should consider is that you get what you pay for.  I have several $10 - $30 holsters that I never use because they are junk.  I could probably flip them but I don't feel right foisting them on other people.  I consider it my penance for buying cheap holsters.  Don't try to get off cheap just to save a few bucks.  You probably won't like what you buy in that price range.  Besides, do you really want to trust your $500-600 gun to a $10 holster?  Think about it.  You don't have to spend a boatload of money on a holster, but you can get a good holster in the $50 - $70 range.  I googled Galco Summer COmfort and found brand new holsters for $60.  It is well worth the investment to get a better holster, whether it is kydex or leather.

There is no perfect holster for every occasion.  While I usually carry on my hip, on road trips I use a shoulder holster.  Some of my guns are pocket pistols so I have a pocket holster also.  You're probably going to find that you need a different holster for different situations, weather conditions, etc.

I hope this helps.  I've had my CHL for 6 years and am still buying different holsters for different needs.  Good luck in your search.  Carrying the weapon in your belt without a holster is not the best idea as far as safety and security.  The sooner you get a good holster the sooner you will become more comfortable carrying your weapon.

marshalmatt

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
I like the nighthawk holsters. They are rough and durable and have a feature which allows them to not slip out of your pocket or inside the waistband. Excellent holsters for good money. They come in every size imagineable.

wagmc

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
It depends on what you are carrying, and how you want to carry it.

I have IWB, OWB with retention system, and a sneaky pete "phone case" style.  Which one I use depends on A) what I'm wearing 2) Where I'm going and D) what I'll be doing when I get there.

gruehle

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
I normally carry outside the waistband (OWB) and prefer Galco leather depending on the gun. I like the leather for my better guns (nice finish) like my Kimber and Sig. I actually carried the XDm 9mm 3.8 with the paddle holster that came with the gun kit. I did also have a suede inside (IWB) by Galco. You will probably end up buying more than one. Be sure you find one you like or you won't want to carry. Good luck. Let us know what you choose!

Balfy

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:40:25 PM »
My personal favorite is from Winthorp Holsters. They are moderately priced, full leather and make holsters pistol specific. They make sets, IWB. OWB and shoulder holsters. Very well made. I have 6 different Winthorps and all of them are functional, durable and comfortable. Excellent product. The two I wear most for my EDC are for a Glock 33 and a Beretta PX4 sub compact.

GarryLaxton

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
I have two of the "Sneaky Pete" holsters, one for an S&W Bodyguard 380, and one for an S&W Shield.  I've been very happy with them, as you can wear them with anything and have no concerns about concealment.

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
I have tried a few holster styles, and my favorite is the VersaCarry. It's as close as you can get to just tucking the gun in your waistband. There's no bulk, and I find it holds my gun quite securely, while allowing rapid deployment. Also, they're made in Texas, which is nice. They cost $20-$25, so you're not risking too much money to try one out. Just one thing, though. Break in the holster when you first buy it. Holster and unholster the gun repeatedly while watching a half-hour TV show, and it should be ready to go (with gun unloaded and following proper safety rules, of course). Otherwise you may find the hold too snug at first. I've used mine with an LC9 and a S&W Shield, and I found the extra-small size to provide a comfortable ride height. Hope this helps.

Tazer

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
Alien Gear IWB Holsters.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »
I use two holsters, the DeSantis SOF-TUCK IWB and the Kydex IWB.  I find myself using the DeSantis more because it is smaller and much quicker to remove and put back in place.  But I prefer the Kydex because the trigger guard is COMPLETELY covered.  When carrying a Glock, you want to make sure nothing gets around the trigger.  I also use the Kydex more when I wear dress shirts because when I tuck my shirt, there is less bulk than when using the DeSantis, but I find both of them to be comfortable with all day carry.

P8riot0366

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
I use a Blackhawk IWB soft holster.  It's lightweight and comfortable.  The only thing I don't like about it, is that there are no retention features on it, so no serious running without holding my arm against it which is a "tell" to the trained eye.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 02:55:38 PM »
I carry a custom made kydex from deadman holsters on Facebook. I cut my own rails into a glock 26 for a light so there is no holster for that. It's both a iwb and owb. I carry serpa under jacket with my full size.
Just as a disclaimer I am related to the owner of deadman holsters.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 08:50:06 PM »
I carry my S&W Shield mostly in a Crossbreed supertuck and like it. If I'm wearing dress slacks, I switch to a Smart Carry for a bit more concealment. If I am in a situation that requires a lot of action (i.e. crawling under or over things, doing a lot of bending, or working with my head and shoulders down low) I sometimes use a holster shirt with a retention strap. Not my favorite way because of accessibility, but it is secure and still closer than my vehicle.

EdO

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »
Way too many variables for me to make a firm recommendation.  Just some generalities.  There are a lot of good quality concealed carry holsters out there.  A lot depends on what you are carrying,  how you want to carry it (shoulder holster, cross draw, IWB, OWB, etc.), you're every day attire and so on. Those are things that only you can decided.  I'm a fairly stout guy.  6' 240 pounds.  Carrying about 40 pounds of belly fat.  I normally wear wranglers and tee shirts.  I carry an XDM C 3.8 in .40 or a Ruger GP100 .357 3" in high rise  belt holsters and they don't even print through my tee shirt.  Sometimes I carry a S&W .380 Bodyguard in a Galco pocket holster which also conceals nicely (not that I could hit anything with it at over 10 feet reliably, it's strictly a very short range weapon).  Any quality holster will be made for your specific gun.  I wouldn't worry too much about one specific brand (I've got a dozen or so leather, kydex and polymer from 5 or 6 makers and they all work.) as making sure it is made for your specific gun and not one of the one size fits many.