Author Topic: Campus Carry in Kansas  (Read 1168 times)

Renee

Campus Carry in Kansas
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »
Hi! I am new to the forum and am attending college in Kansas but live in Oklahoma. Can you explain the status of the campus CC legislation for me? I have read up on it but there is so much red tape listed that I'm not sure where it stands. I am a long-time handgun permit holder in my home state. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Campus Carry in Kansas
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »
Renee,

First off, Kansas allows anyone over 21 to carry a concealed handgun without a license, so you don’t need to worry about whether or not your Oklahoma SDA license is recognized by Kansas. But you are right when you say there is a lot of red tape on this issue!

The short take away here is that you may carry on campus, but not in buildings on campus. The law seems to indicate that carrying concealed on campus grounds is not off-limits, just carrying in buildings. Individual colleges and universities may outright prohibit concealed carry in campus buildings, but only until June 1, 2017. After June 1, 2017, public colleges and universities can only prohibit concealed carry if they have “adequate security measures” in place and have a posted sign. However, private colleges and universities are not required to have adequate security measures, but may prohibit concealed carry with a sign only. There is no criminal penalty for carrying concealed in a university of college building, but if you are asked to leave, make sure to leave immediately, or you may face criminal trespass charges.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »