Author Topic: Posting Locations  (Read 1501 times)

wmphrph

Posting Locations
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:25:18 PM »
At a local mall, I am aware of 30-06 signs at certain entrances and their lack at others.  If I routinely use the non posted entrance, even though I am aware of the posting at other entrances, am I technically in violation of the 30-06 statute?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Posting Locations
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
Now that you posted this you are.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »
wmphrph,

If you are aware that other 30.06 signs are posted at the mall, even if there wasn’t one at the specific entrance you go into, and you carry into the mall, you could be in violation of the law. Texas Penal Code § 30.06 only specifies that the sign needs to be posted conspicuously on the property,  not at every entrance. The most important thing though, is the idea behind the statute: receiving notice from the property owner. If you carry your concealed handgun on the property and are arrested for unlawful carry, undoubtedly a prosecutor will ask you if you saw the sign on the property. Keeping in mind perjury is a crime, it would be very tough to argue that you didn’t receive notice when you have already seen the 30.06 sign.  Arguing that you knew there were 30.06 signs on the property (showing that the mall owners do not want concealed handguns on the property) but that one was not at the entrance you go into would certainly not be a strong defense for you. Finally, keep in mind that the jury will be the ultimate deciders as to whether or not you were given notice; most people would rather not leave their fate in the hands of a group of people that couldn’t figure out how to get out of jury duty!

ceejmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 06:30:34 AM »
Off topic but I will never understand why people don't want to participate in jury duty. I have served jury duty on a few occasions. I served on a grand jury once a week for three months. I thought the experience was very interesting. I would even say I enjoyed it. I would do it again. I also enjoyed seeing the guilty (insert explicit word or words of choice here) being sent to prison.

People do what ever they can to get out of jury duty and then hope to have "like minded" people on a jury if they ever need one. It's not going to happen because the "like minded" folks all got out of jury duty.