Author Topic: Vacation Travel With A Handgun  (Read 7320 times)

Andyray

Vacation Travel With A Handgun
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
I am planning on driving from the Dallas area to Destin, Florida in the near future. I would like to transport and carry my handgun. I will be passing through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.

Can I carry the weapon in my vehicle loaded and within reach as I do here in Texas? What suggestions do you have regarding this trip and my weapon? It looks like all of these states have recripocal conceal carry agreements with Texas.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Andyray

Re: Vacation Travel With A Handgun
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:36:31 PM »
No suggestions?

Bruin98

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
Two options here. I do both.

Download the concealed carry app on your phone. It is a couple $ and has all the rules for all states including reciprocity. There's a free one as well, but it may not be as in depth as the paid.

Handgunlaw.us is a comprehensive web site you can get answers to your questions on.

I do the web site before all my multi state trips and use the phone app when I get in a situation where I forgot the rule. (I got pulled over in MO and couldn't remember if it was a shall inform state). Pulled it up on my phone while waiting for cop to walk to my car.

Andyray

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 01:25:06 PM »
Thank you Bruin98. I downloaded the app and did find it very useful.

Thanks again

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 10:25:04 AM »
Andyray,

I am assuming you have a concealed handgun license; all of the states you are traveling through will recognize it if you have one. Keep in mind that gun laws can vary state to state, and in the states you are traveling through there are no 30.06 signage requirements; so if you see a no gun sign on a building, or a gun with a line through it, it is best to take your gun back out to your vehicle.

Andyray

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »
Thank you for your response. Yes I have my TEXAS CHL. I was mainly concerned about being stopped on a highway as to whether or not I need to declare or not declare that I was exercising my rights as a CHL holder. I did notice that some states are different from Texas in that the requirement to declare is silent. I keep my weapon stored and out of site when traveling; and it is loaded

Andyray

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »
Ok, Frederal Law says that in order for me to transport my hand gun across interstates it must be unloaded and locked up in a place other than my glove box. I am driving from Texas (have chl) to Florida. All the states I pass through have recropical agreements with Texas as for CHL.

I have read all the other state's CHL laws and they do not address this question. So my question is; must I always have my hand gun unloaded, locked up, and out of reach as I am driving in my vehicle?? The sort of defeats my purpose for even taking the gun while driving on the highway late at night in isolated areas.

Thank you for your responses.

jaxfl

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 11:14:38 AM »
The only thing I can think of is....

1-dont speed
2-make sure all lights and equipment on the car works
3-avoid accidents

If you do these 3 you will not get pulled over and will not have to worry about it.

The cancelled carry is for while you are in the state.... like walking around, the Federal Law is for going from state to state while driving. That would really be a Lawyer question to get some kind of official read. Maybe one of these will answer or you could call the 800# and ask.

Andyray

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I did call TLS and talk to a lawyer. I feel comfortable with my trip now. Thanks for the tips.

jaxfl

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 08:03:34 AM »
Quote from: "Andyray"
Thank you for your reply. I did call TLS and talk to a lawyer. I feel comfortable with my trip now. Thanks for the tips.

OK so you going to share or do we have to hunt you down ???  :shock:

Andyray

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
Lol. He said that since the states I am traveling through, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, & Florida, all have reciprocating CHL agreements with TX, my home, I am able to transport concealed and conceal carry as if I were in Texas. He advised to just be careful in LA and never carry into a place that sells liquior; which in LA is a large portion of the businesses. This is not exclusive to LA but they seem to be more restrictive.  I asked about if I get stopped if I need to declare, his answer was "why do something that you are not required to do?"  Lastly, be aware that the other states don't have the 30.06 sign requirement and look for other types of signs not allowing guns.  

Recommend call TXLS. They were very nice to talk to and very patient in helping me.

jaxfl

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 10:24:40 AM »
Quote from: "Andyray"
Lol. He said that since the states I am traveling through, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, & Florida, all have reciprocating CHL agreements with TX, my home, I am able to transport concealed and conceal carry as if I were in Texas. He advised to just be careful in LA and never carry into a place that sells liquior; which in LA is a large portion of the businesses. This is not exclusive to LA but they seem to be more restrictive.  I asked about if I get stopped if I need to declare, his answer was "why do something that you are not required to do?"  Lastly, be aware that the other states don't have the 30.06 sign requirement and look for other types of signs not allowing guns.  

Recommend call TXLS. They were very nice to talk to and very patient in helping me.

:D

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 07:23:17 AM »
AndyRay,

No, it does NOT have to be unloaded and locked up.  Generally, you can carry concealed in all those states, just like you can in TX.  There are minor exceptions.  For instance, I don't think you can carry your gun in restaurants that serve alcohol in LA.  I may be wrong about that.  In some states, you cannot have a beer w/your meal if you are carrying. :(

What you are confusing is the federal law (transporting) has to do with going THROUGH a state that does NOT let you have a gun.  For instance, IL does NOT recognize the TX LTC.  If you 'have' to go through IL, the only legal way is to unload it and lock it up.  You cannot stop and visit the local tourist attractions - you would not longer be transporting. :(  It is probably legal to stop for fuel.  A meal is more questionable.  Definitely NOT legal to stop and sleep. :(

Hope that helps.

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 07:25:12 AM »
Sorry, did not read far enough.  Glad TLS agrees w/me. :)

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 10:22:32 AM »
Louisiana does have a duty to notify the officer that you have a license and you are carrying a gun, whereas Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida only require you present your license upon demand for the license. As to the federal law, I think you have read it to be more strict than it is; it does not enforce mandatory requirements, but gives you a very nice optional defense. It operates in helping individuals drive through gun hostile state that don’t recognize your license, and under state law wouldn’t allow you to even possess the gun in your car (i.e., New York, New Jersey, etc.). Since all of the states you are traveling through recognize your license, you do not need to utilize this Federal protection, as it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded gun as a licensee.