Author Topic: CHL  (Read 1129 times)


  • Guest
« on: September 14, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »
I have a felony Dwi is number 3 its been years ago what can i do so that i can own a gun, hunt, and get a CHL can someone please tell me a lawyer that can help
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »


  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:23:56 AM »

You may be able to get limited restoration of your gun rights as an ex-felon. Texas Penal Code 46.04 allows an ex-felon to possess a firearm only at the premises where they live (their home and the property it is on), five years after they have either been released from confinement or community supervision/parole. If your conviction for the felony DWI was three years ago, you will need to wait a couple of years before you may legally possess a firearm at your home. However, it is still a crime for an ex-felon to possess a firearm under federal law, so there is still the theoretical possibility that you may get charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm under federal law.

Also, an ex-felon may not possess a firearm at any other location than their premises, and they cannot obtain a concealed handgun license. This means that, unfortunately, you will not be able to legally hunt with a firearm or get a CHL. The only option that would allow you to hunt or obtain a CHL would be a pardon from the Governor, which is very difficult to obtain. For more information on obtaining a pardon, please consult the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles website:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »