Author Topic: Moving to Oregon  (Read 2571 times)

jariod

Moving to Oregon
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »
I am moving from Austin, TX to Portland, OR in about a month. I have a number of questions about this move.

1) I have my Texas CHL and plan to get an Oregon CHL once I am there. Any insight on the process, tips/caveats, or resources for Oregon and Portland specifically?

2) Initially, I planned on canceling my Texas Law Shield and looking for something similar in Oregon. I notice though the multi-state just added Oregon so I will be adding that. How long after adding multi-state is it effective? Also, are ALL of the same services offered in Oregon and how does that work? For example, if I fired on an attacker in Portland would I get a local attorney there with all legal fees paid?

3) This move is by car and I plan on transporting my firearms (3 handguns, 3 long guns, no full-auto). I do not have a route planned yet and do not plan on stopping in any national parks. Is there a suggested route or, more simply, states/cities I should avoid extended stays in in order to stay legal?

4) Anything else I should consider?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

jariod

Re: Moving to Oregon
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:50 PM »
I should add too that I am aware that when transporting my guns they will need to be unloaded, locked in a hard case, in the trunk, with no ammo in the case.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Oregon
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »
Good questions jariod,

To answer:

1. You apply for you handgun license at your local sheriff's department. You can go to this link for more information: http://www.mcso.us/profiles/pdf/chl_faq.pdf

2. Unfortunately, you cannot be an Oregon resident and have U.S. or Texas Law Shield. We are working everyday to expand to new states, but the Multi-state program does not cover non-Texas residents. Keep a look out for U.S. Law Shield in Oregon coming soon though.

3. You may not have your firearms in California, so try your best to avoid going through that state. If you do find yourself in California, you will need to unload all the weapons, put them in a lockbox, and keep the ammunition in a separate compartment, though this applies only to California. Also, make sure you when you drive through California that you are only making stops at gas stations.

We're sorry to see you go, but keep your eyes open for U.S. Law Shield of Oregon.