Author Topic: Black Powder carry in Texas  (Read 4189 times)

Darkangel

Black Powder carry in Texas
« on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »
I don't want to carry openly anywhere, but in Texas, I have heard that you can carry a black powder revolver without a CCW. I ask, because I am a disabled veteran on a limited income.
The cost of a Texas CCW is beyond my means, but still, I would like to have a weapon on me and black powder are more than adequate for self-protection.
Grateful for your help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

MIO

• View Profile
Re: Black Powder carry in Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
PM me please

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 10:08:29 AM »
Darkangel,

That is correct – you may legally carry a concealed or unconcealed black powder weapon without a Texas CHL. Texas Penal Code § 46.01(3) says that an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, or a replica of such a firearm if it does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition, is not a considered a firearm for purposes of the law on concealed carry.

However, there are few things you should consider before you carry one concealed in public. First, a black powder pistol is considered to be a “deadly weapon” in Texas. Therefore, do not carry into a place where weapons are generally prohibited – government buildings, schools, etc. Second, despite it being legal to carry, you may have a hard time with law enforcement if you are stopped with a concealed black powder pistol on your person. You run the risk of being arrested for unlawful carry, despite not breaking the law, simply because the police may or may not understand this nuance of the law. Lastly, a black powder pistol converted to fire rim fire or center fire ammunition will be considered a firearm under Texas law and will require a CHL.

Darkangel

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
TexasLawShield, thanks for your reply. Haven't found the right Black Powder as of yet, anyway. Looking for a Sheriff's Model or Merchant's Model. Full sized revolver is a bit much to conceal, anyway. Used BPs are always difficult to find. New can cost as much or more than a cartridge revolver or full sized auto. Too, it is a shame to convert one to cartridge, unless you are  reenactor. Will be careful, though. Never carried where it was prohibited.