Author Topic: Carry in County Owned Buildings  (Read 2902 times)

redhorse

Carry in County Owned Buildings
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »
I am a County employee and work in an office building that is attached the Courthouse and Justice Center in San Antonio. From time to time I have to enter these facilities and even courtrooms. I have the ability to secure my firearm in my locked office if I do have to enter the Courthouse or a specific courtroom.  The facility has a 30.06 and manned security entry points. I am not subject to these as I am a badged employee. In addition, the 30.06 is only at main entrances. Can I legally carry at work as long as I stay out of the Justice Center and Courthouse with my firearm? I also drive a County owned vehicle to and from work. In the course of my job I have to travel all over the County. The County does have an order prohibiting CHL holders from carrying on County property dated 1995. Can I legally carry in my County vehicle? From time to time I have to conduct County business late at night and with valuable tools or equipment in some less than desirable parts of town. Even during the day I get a little concerned without the ability to protect myself. When am I able to carry legally?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Carry in County Owned Buildings
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »
Good question redhorse,

Yes, you are able to legally carry in your county building, but you cannot carry in the courthouse.

As far as carrying in the car, it is not a criminal act to carry on county-owned property or in county vehicles. However, if the county has an employment rule stating that a county employee cannot carry, carrying there could be grounds for disciplinary action against you as an employee, but it does not sound like you would be violating any criminal law except for the law saying you cannot carry in a courthouse.

Hope that helps.

redhorse

Re: Carry in County Owned Buildings
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:12:46 AM »
Thank you.