Author Topic: 30.06/7 signage posted at entrance to parking lot.  (Read 3719 times)

charlesjohnsoncsp

30.06/7 signage posted at entrance to parking lot.
« on: October 07, 2015, 03:02:04 PM »
In the anticipation of Jan1 open carry, I have been tasked with researching the following topic.  
We are a church in TX.  We are debating and considering the potential impact of open carry during worship and other services beginning Jan1.    This is not about should we or should we not post, rather, if we decide to properly post,  Would it be considered " effective notice " to post signage at the entrance of our parking lot rather than on the building entryway?  Additional factors:  There are two primary entrances to the building, 1- from the parking lot and 2- from the street (without using or driving by the parking lot)
thanks
cj
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
Re: 30.06/7 signage posted at entrance to parking lot.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »
Not a lawyer.

Were I to be in charge of this task at my church, I would post notices at all entrances. Even if you prohibit carrying in the church, doing so in the parking lot might be a bit of a legal gray area. It also might lead to some confusion. Better to be safe and actually post on or near the doors.

That said, I would encourage you to stick with 30.07 signs if you are uncomfortable with open carry. Having church members carrying concealed can be a very good thing. We recently had an incident at my church in which a man with some mental issues (I'm not sure specifically what type) threatened to get a gun and shoot our pastor just before the start of Sunday morning worship. He left for a bit, and when he came back he was greeted politely by half a dozen church members carrying concealed who invited him to have a seat in the foyer and wait for the police, who had already been called. He did so, and the police arrived and searched him. He was unarmed, but it was a bit of a wake up call for some of us. Christians are often targeted for violence, and the frequency of such incidents in this country seems to be on the rise. "Advertising" that you are a church full of unarmed people might not be wise. Just friendly advice. Not being argumentative in the least. At the end of the day, your congregation needs to do what it feels comfortable with. Hope this helps.

charlesjohnsoncsp

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 04:18:56 PM »
The actual discussion heavily leaning toward 30.07 only.  We tend to agree that CC is a good thing, but there will likely be significant drama in terms of open carry.  The real issue, is would it be acceptable to post in the parking lot, rather than on the main glass entry doors? primarily for esthetic reasons.

kmedcalf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:51:19 AM »
Since you note that it's possible to enter without passing the sign (your second entrance), I would say that would not be effective. The 30.07 states that the sign must be posted at each entrance to the property. But then I'm not a lawyer either.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »
charlesjohnsoncsp,

When it goes into effect January 1st, Texas Penal Code § 30.07 will require that a sign be posted at each entrance to the property. Since there are two primary entrances to the property – one in the parking lot and one from the street – you will need to post a sign at both to be in compliance. The good news is that a sign posted at the entrance to the parking lot will be considered legally effective, because the parking lot is considered church property. Don’t forget also that notice can be provided orally if need be. Keep in mind that the 30.07 sign only prohibits open carry, so individuals would still be allowed to concealed carry if there were no posted 30.06 signs, and furthermore, it would not effectively prohibit unlicensed concealed car carry. So if it is your intent to keep open carry out, but allow concealed carry, this would accomplish that goal.