Author Topic: Boy Scout Camp Out  (Read 1340 times)

JScott

Boy Scout Camp Out
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:39:28 AM »
My son and I are going on our first camp out with the Cub Scouts. They have a no firearm policy. This policy is in their "what to bring and not to bring" flyer and was given in an in-person briefing. I do not know if the property is posted with 30.06 or 30.07 signs. My understanding is that now that they have told me verbally that I am not welcome to carry that I am legally not allowed. My question is about vehicle carry. Under these circumstances can I legally still carry concealed in my vehicle if said vehicle is either occupied or locked? (even if the vehicle is on Boy Scout owned property?)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

switch

• View Profile
Re: Boy Scout Camp Out
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:41:38 AM »
I assume you are in TX?  Yes, you can have it in your car.  (Don't ask, don't tell.)

At the briefing, did they specifically say 'No guns'? Or did they just hand out the flyer?  IOW, did they read it to you?  If they only handed you the flyer and said something like; "Theses are the rules", that would NOT be proper written notice.  If they specifically said: "No guns", that is sufficient verbal notice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Boy Scout Camp Out
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »
JScott,

I do not believe that is sufficient notice under TPC 30.06. A generalized no-firearms statement is not the same as being given personal notice not to carry, and unless their policy in their “what not to bring” flier has the language of a 30.06 sign, a “no guns allowed” policy on a flier is similarly not sufficient. Keep in mind they can expel you or your child out of the Cub scouts if they discover you are carrying, however, there should not be any resulting criminal charges.