Author Topic: proper gun location in car/truck  (Read 4745 times)

jorgengertz

proper gun location in car/truck
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »
What is the lawful location of handguns in your car and/or truck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

MrGoodfellow

Re: proper gun location in car/truck
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 02:07:39 PM »
I had a similar question.. when I took my CHL class I was told anything below the window line was considered concealed.  I keep my pistol on a holster mounted to my steering column.. I have posted another question here about the legality of carrying this way and I am still waiting on an answer.  From what I can tell the law just states the it cannot be "in plain view"

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »
The statement below is taken from the TLS website. Never heard the "below the window level" requirement for Texas and I am aware of someone that got in trouble for having a pistol laying in open view on the passenger seat.

"However even with a handgun, in Texas, there are several places where a person may possess a handgun legally without the benefit of a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL). These places include:

A personís residence or other real property under their control.
A personís private motor vehicle or watercraft if the handgun is concealed, and the person is legal to possess a firearm, is not a member of a street gang, and is not engaged in the commission of a crime greater than a Class C misdemeanor traffic or boating violation.
A person engaged in lawful fishing, hunting, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the personsí residence or motor vehicle, if the firearm is a type commonly used in the activity.
While storing a loaded firearm, it must be in a place which cannot be accessed by a child under the age of 17, or secured with a trigger lock if there is reason to know that a child under 17 may gain access to the firearm."

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »
DPS instructors told us in one of our classes (I don't recall if it was an initial class or one of the renewal classes) that 'concealed from ordinary view' meant from other vehicles.  It COULD be lying openly on the seat. :)  You just cannot throw it on the dash.

However, the LEO standing at your window might have a different opinion, particularly if you are dealing w/a METRO department. :(

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
jorgengertz,

To carry your handguns in your vehicle, Texas law requires that it be concealed and out of plain view. This means you could have your handgun in the trunk, center console, glove box, or even under the driverís seat as long as it is not visible. Unlawful locations would be sitting on a seat in plain view, on the passengerís side floorboard if visible, etc.

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 11:30:42 PM »
"Unlawful locations would be sitting on a seat in plain view, on the passengerís side floorboard if visible, etc."

Does this also pertain to a pistol inside a fully enclosed case such as a 'sneeky pete' holster that doesn't print the gun?

timsatx

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 12:03:04 AM »
As long as you are unable to identify that it is a weapon then it is concealed.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »
Jerryk,

A pistol enclosed in a ďsneeky peteĒ case would be considered out of plain view, and would be properly concealed.

Sparker

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 02:23:46 PM »
Did any change to this vehicle requirement happen when it became legal to open carry in Texas on Jan 1st? (for those licensed to carry outside of the vehicle) 
I also have a mount on my steering column with a Sneaky Pete type case attached, but was wondering if I now could have a standard holster attached to the mount instead.   
I look at it like... if a person was legally open carrying, got in their vehicle and put it in a holster under the steering wheel just for while they are driving, wouldn't this be the same as keeping it visible on their hip while driving?  I know that laws & regulation doesn't always coincide with logic, so I needed to ask.
Does the law still state the handgun must be concealed when in a vehicle, for those licensed to carry?  If so, would someone open carrying have to conceal upon getting in their vehicle?  I know that second question may be a silly one, but if the law didn't change it might be a valid one.  Thanks!

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 11:41:04 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Sparker. The only change to the law as far as carry in your car is that you can now open carry while in your vehicle with a LTC as long as the handgun is in a belt or shoulder holster. Other than that, it must be concealed when in your vehicle. So the steering column holster would still need to conceal the gun. Hope this helps.

Not a lawyer.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 03:49:14 PM »
Sparker,

The new law allows license holders to carry openly in a vehicle if the firearm is in a belt or shoulder holster, the same as when you are outside the vehicle. It is unlikely that steering column holsters will be considered legal open carry in a vehicle, so it would be recommended that you continue to conceal a gun that is carried in the steering column holster.