Author Topic: Viking Axe for Home Security?  (Read 9166 times)

CongoHarry

• View Profile
Viking Axe for Home Security?
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »
Never bring a Viking axe to a gunfight...

See:   newbielink:http://http://sports.cbslocal.com/2015/10/07/washington-states-football-coach-keeps-a-viking-axe-by-his-bed-in-case-of-intruders/ [nonactive]

The Viking axe (known as the "bearded" axe for its blade shape) had its place in the 10th century.  The advent of gunpowder made it nothing more than a novelty weapon here in the 21st century.  Worst idea(s) ever. I personally know many who think along these lines.  It's akin to muffling your home smoke detectors with cotton balls.  As if that were not bad enough, the man goes on a national news outlet to reveal his self-imposed limits and vulnerability in home security measures.  Anybody see a burglary in his future?  When it comes to personal protection in the home for me and mine, there are no limitations...well, the Claymores lining the driveway were a bit over the top, but I dug those out years ago.  As for the other countermeasures, that remains "classified" information.  Certainly not for discussion on CBS news.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

MIO

• View Profile
Re: Viking Axe for Home Security?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »
It's the day and age of social media where everyone believes that everyone else needs to know everything. Part because the grey matter is dead, part cause they think they are smarter and the rest is because as on this case the media took an interest in him do the ego overrode the brain.
"Claymores over the top" ha never! I mean sometimes I mount them over the top cause of armor but...... Lol
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

spanman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 04:21:08 AM »
Ever that axe would be better than Algores empty two row shotgun.

EdO

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:09:02 PM »
Actually, the "bearded axe" is very useful in the right applications.  I have one and use it a lot.  The whole purpose of the "beard" is so tha you can slide your hand under it and get better control for wood working applications.  It's use as a weapon was pretty much secondary.  A very practical tool.  Self defense weapon?  Nah.  Not now and not in the Viking years either.