Author Topic: CHL Question In San Antonio  (Read 6156 times)

Eddie

CHL Question In San Antonio
« on: May 28, 2014, 01:53:38 AM »
I'm new to CHL and trying to sort out where I can legally carry in San Antonio. Is it legal to carry in:

City Parks
On City Buses
In a convention center specifically Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
On the River Walk and at the Alamo

Thank you for any information you can provide
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CHL Question In San Antonio
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
Thanks for the question Eddie,

It is legal to carry your firearm concealed in both city parks and buses. It is also legal to carry in the convention center as long as there is no 30.06 sign posted.

As for the Riverwalk and the Alamo, it is also fine to carry at both of them, however be wary of entering any bars on the Riverwalk that have a 51% sign. Further, if the Alamo has a 30.06 sign, you cannot carry there.

Hope that helps.

MMrvichin

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
I have visited some San Antonio city parks and there is signage disallowing "weapons" per "sect. 21-14b", of which I'm unable to find a reference for in the city ordinances.  However on the city's website it lists,

Sec. 21-153. Carrying a firearm prohibited; exceptions.permanent link to this piece of content
(a)It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a firearm within the city limits of the City of San Antonio at:
(1)A public park; or
(2)A public meeting of a governmental body; or
(3)A political rally, political parade, or official political meeting; or
(4)A nonfirearms-related school, college, or professional athletic event.
(b)It is an affirmative defense to prosecution for a violation of this provision that:
(1)The firearm is being carried by a certified peace officer; or
(2)The firearm is being carried by a certified security officer in the performance of his employment.
(Ord. No. 79328, 3, 12-16-93; Ord. No. 84805, 2, 9-19-96)

And yet on another state site there is reference to a city not being able to limit/disallow concealed carry by a lawfully licensed individual.  So which are we bound by?

Thank you for replying

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »
MMrvichin,

Thanks for the question. The important thing to remember is that if you have a CHL, the city ordinances regarding lawfully carrying a concealed handgun do not apply to you. They only apply to carrying a firearm by unlicensed individuals.

Hope that clears things up.