Author Topic: Secure Parking Lot  (Read 5963 times)

stovera

Secure Parking Lot
« on: July 06, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
There are some parking lots that you can not have a weapon in your car. I wanted to know what does the law views as a secure parking lot for a chemical plant?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Secure Parking Lot
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »
stovera,

Property under lease by a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refiner that's primary business is to manufacture, use, store, or transport hazardous, combustible or explosive materials may prohibit CHL holders from keeping a concealed handgun in their locked motor vehicle in the parking area.

However, if the parking area is outside of the secured and restricted area that contains both the physical plant (that is not open to the public) and the ingress (which is constantly monitored by security), then a CHL holder may keep their concealed handgun in their locked motor vehicle.

Thanks for the question. Hope that helps.

smitch13

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:14:09 PM »
I'm looking for a specific circumstance...

"Property under lease by a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refiner that's primary business is to manufacture, use, store, or transport hazardous, combustible or explosive materials may prohibit CHL holders from keeping a concealed handgun in their locked motor vehicle in the parking area."

It's the bolded areas I have a concern with. I work in the semiconductor industry, the parking lot is fenced and has guards. They use all manor of chemicals that are both combustible and/or explosive.

If I am reading it correctly, I cannot legally keep a weapon in my car in this parking lot.  Is this correct?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:15:34 PM »
Good question Smitch13

your interpretation of the law is correct. Under Texas labor code 52.062 possessing a firearm or ammunition in a locked motor vehicle parked on property owned or leased by a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refiner on which the primary business conducted is the manufacture, use, storage, or transportation of hazardous, combustible, or explosive material, is prohibited. However a CHL holder my store a firearm or ammunition in their locked motor vehicle if the parking area is out of the secured and restricted area (1) that contains the physical plant. (2) that is not open to the public. (3) The ingress into which is constantly monitored by security personal.

Thank you for your question

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
Say I work for a trucking company. Not a manufacturer or refiner. We have a secured parking lot (fencing and access codes). We transport oil and other materials. Where would this stand?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »

If the parking lot is owned or leased by a trucking company and is not a chemical manufacturer or an oil & gas refiner, the parking lot does not fall under this statutory provision.

Thank you for your question.