Author Topic: Practice routine  (Read 5629 times)

skeath

Practice routine
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:15:49 PM »
I thought a useful thread would be, "what do you do to keep in shape for that SHTF event?".  I think a fair number of CHL holders think they've arrived when they get the license, and may not keep training.  I'll go first.

I have several guns, and rotate my practice with them, so the carry gun only gets fired every few weeks (it's not that much fun to shoot).  However, I try to do this periodically:

I warm up with shooting at a bullseye at 7-10 yards.  Then I put a B-27 FBI target out at 7 yards, load my gun, rack it, and lay it on the bench.  It should be in the same condition you would carry it, i.e., cocked-and-locked, safety on if you want, not racked if you want, whatever. On my signal (not having an assistant), I grab the gun and see how fast I can put 2 shots on the target, using only a flash picture.  The goal is 3 seconds.  If you have to do anything besides pull the trigger, it will take a little longer. With the gun not in my hand, I'm trying to simulate a desperate emergency.  Repeat as necessary.  The location on the target matters, just as it would in real life.

Most ranges don't allow drawing from a holster, which would be a better simulation, but this is a good exercise. Unless you practice emergency shooting, you will be surprised how awkward this feels, and how less than stellar the results.

As the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared!".

SK
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

MIO

• View Profile
Re: Practice routine
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
My range allows for draw if you have a RSO present. That helps. I shoot competition but try and do it tactically correct rather than worry about time and scores. I hunt and have critter encounters from the draw. My job requires re qualification and I train with a group where we both ground and stand fight to obtain a weapon if possible using training aid weapons and old holsters as they tend to get torn up.
I'm at the gym 5 days a week at 0430 to maintain old fat guy status because physical fitness is everything in a fight even a shooting because of breathing and the ability to control the adrenaline dump.  
Can't encourage everyone enough to get more training. You might have the background but even then it doesn't hurt to dust off the skills and if you really have the background you already know that.

scubajim

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
I EDC a Walther PPQ 9mm. I am at the range on a weekly basis and run about 200 rounds through the weapon.
Because of my training I'm allowed to practice my draw stroke with live ammo.

I start at 5 yards using SEB Swat Team Training Targets. My drawstroke is from a Defensor Gunleather OWB and I use a variable start timer set to 1.5 sec. When the timer sounds I draw and fire a two or three round string before the timer sounds again. I'm looking to keep the rounds in the center mass.
5 yards is my most likely engagement distance so I practice at this range often. I also do this at 7 and 10 yards. I also do slow fire at longer distances, mag dumps and tactical reloads, as all these skills are vital to me when I carry.

Besides weekly proficiency work I like to take training classes or private lessons at least 3 times a year, more often if time and money permit.

I keep a log of all my proficiency training and ammo types as well as round count. In the unlikely event that I'm in court I hope these logs will show that I diligently try to be a responsible firearm owner.

We take on a huge burden when we decided to carry a weapon, training and practice are the things that allow us to carry in a fashion that, to the best of our ability, keeps us and our loved ones safe from harm.

compac

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:25:06 AM »
In other words, isn't it illegal to claim that these areas are company premises and to try to enforce premises-based policies in those locations? The labor laws have to mean at least something, don't they?

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 07:03:36 PM »
compac, your post does not seem to fit this topic. Maybe supposed to have been somewhere else??  Or maybe I just missed your point?