Author Topic: Traveling with RV  (Read 4066 times)

twork22

Traveling with RV
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »
I know in the state of Texas it is legal to travel with a gun in your vehicle, but what if you get to a campground that does not allow firearms. I've checked with the State Parks and they said as long as I don't display it and the park is not on Corp of Engineers land (Federal property) it was fine. If the RV park doesn't display a 30.06 sign but has it in their rules no firearms. I guess my question is can a Campground/RV Park over rule  the Texas citizens right to conceal carry in their campground? We travel often with our RV and stay in Rest areas, parking lots, etc. from time to time so my weapon is with me at all times while I'm traveling and don't have the option to just leave it at home just because 1 park along the way doesn't allow them. I was even told that in the state of Texas because of this law I could even carry in a National Park as long as I keep it in my vehicle and didn't carry in a federal building. (Ranger Station) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling with RV
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:00:33 AM »
In Texas, a private property owner retains the right to allow access to their property on the condition that the person not carry a firearm. For people who carry a concealed handgun license, this means the private property owner must comply with the provisions of 30.06.

If the private property owner does not comply with the provisions of 30.06, they a license holder cannot be charged with criminal trespass. However, there are no such other restrictions on notice for the carrying of firearms under other circumstances.

Therefore, if you enter into an area where they would consider you a criminal trespasser because you brought a firearm (not otherwise covered under 30.06), then in theory you could be charged under Texas Penal Code 30.05. Remember, this only applies to private property and not state property.

Therefore, I suggest that you find campgrounds/RV parks that you know don't restrict firearms, or you call and find out a campground/RV park's policy in advance.

Thank you for your question.

twork22

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:26:48 AM »
Thanks, you answered my question. Guess I will have to make a few phone calls before I travel, don't want to disrespect anyone else's rights.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:21:32 AM »
Happy to help.