Author Topic: Voluntary Disclosure to Employer of CHL  (Read 3067 times)

drb51060

Voluntary Disclosure to Employer of CHL
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:46:47 AM »
I work for a large Texas state agency.  While we have a weapons policy in effect at work, they have instituted an exception allowing CHL licencees to carry while performing "official duties" (we are not a law enforcement agency) if they submit notification to the director of Human Resources, and provide a copy of your CHL.  By signing it you are also agreeing to some pretty standard disclaimers, such as you have to obey all pertinent laws, etc. and the employer is not responsible for your conduct wrt carrying the weapon.

I understand that my employer cannot otherwise determine if I am a licensee unless I voluntarily disclose that to them.  However, I'm nervous about making that information available to them.  Do I have legitimate concerns about voluntarily notifying my agency?  I'm not completely confident in their ability to maintain confidentiality, to begin with.

On the other hand, I travel on official business down in the Rio Grande valley and along the border, and I'd like to carry while doing so without having to violate any employment policies that could get me fired.

Thanks for any insight...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Voluntary Disclosure to Employer of CHL
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »
I am not a lawyer, but definitely understand your concern and hesitation. Once the information is disclosed, it can't be taken back. Also once HR has the copy of your CC license in your "folder", who has access now or 5 years down the road? I assume you don't want to lose this job if by some fluke they caught you carrying with having notified them even though it wouldn't be illegal.

drb51060

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
Hi Neighbor,

You're right on both counts - I can never un-ring that bell if things don't go as they should.  And I've got 23 years in with this outfit and I'll be eligible for retirement next year.  I sure don't want to run afoul of a workplace policy that could get me terminated at this point.  Even though I'm legally authorized to carry, employers can set their own policies.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »
drb51060,

As you have correctly observed, not notifying your employer and violating the policy could lead to grounds for the termination of your employment. At the end of the day, it comes down to whatever you personally feel more comfortable with in terms of personal risk management; there are no hidden legal issues in this scenario, but simply whichever you find to be more agreeable at the end of the day.

Thank you for your question.