Author Topic: Showing my CCW Permit to a Peace Officer  (Read 3096 times)

Ace

• View Profile
Showing my CCW Permit to a Peace Officer
« on: November 07, 2015, 08:24:52 PM »
I have a CCW permit here in Colorado and I am going to be traveling to Alabama and then to California. If I get pulled over, do I have to show them my CCW along with my driver's license? I will not have my firearm with me on the trips.

Thank you for your time.
Ace
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:28:52 PM by Ace »

jaxfl

Re: Showing my CCW Permit to a Peace Officer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »
Being you WILL NOT have the guns with you.....................NO.

Do not ask for trouble by showing it to them or even mentioning it unless they as you.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »
Ace,

License holders are only required to display their licenses when they are carrying a handgun on or about their person.

Albannach

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »
I have debated this question myself. I was a Texas Peace Officer for nearly 10 years. As an ex-cop, here's my 2 cent's worth:

If I am in Texas, am not carrying a concealed handgun, and got stopped by the police for some reason, I would probably go ahead and let the officer know I have a CHL. I would do that for two reasons. First, if the officer runs a driver's license check, and they often do, it will come back flagged with a CHL notice. I don't want the officer to wonder if there's anything else I'm not telling him/her.  Second, it tells the officer I've passed a state and federal criminal background check and I'm not a criminal.

Now, that having been said, if I was not carrying a concealed handgun, I might or might not disclose that I am a CHL holder if stopped by the Texas DPS. In my experience, even when I was a cop, those folks are clannish and an be unpredictable. They seem to deliberately screen for a certain personality type that's not particularly geared toward positively relating to people. Of the troopers I knew, some were very pretty well educated, professional, and were likely to progress upward through the ranks. Others were destined to run radar on long lonesome roads for their entire careers and they seemed somewhat bitter about it.

If I were traveling out of state I'd be sure I knew the disclosure law in the state(s) where I would be driving and would simply stick with that.

The surest thing to do is be the safest driver you can be so that unless someone runs into you causing an accident, there is no reason for you to be stopped in the first place.

rp91855

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »
I'm a Retired Texas Peace Officer with over 33 years of service, I have been pulled over twice since retirement and have produced my credentials along with my drivers license. In both cases the young officers asked if I was armed and went about their business. Although there is no duty to produce the LTC or other credentials it is my practice to do so. Realizing others do not share the same opinion this is my practice. Not right for everyone but we must all make our decision based on law and gut feeling.