Author Topic: shotgun carry in a vehicle  (Read 2539 times)

brucesw2

shotgun carry in a vehicle
« on: December 15, 2015, 10:05:30 PM »
I have a shotgun that is legal length am I allowed by law to carry it in my vehicle daily ? If so must it be carried open or concealed in texas

Katfish

• View Profile
Re: shotgun carry in a vehicle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:02:58 PM »

Certainly not a Lawyer at this desk!

But I do believe IIRC any legal long gun can be carried openly in a vehicle (remember gun racks in pikkemup trucks? I still see some around)

Rusty Shackleford

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »
Also not a lawyer.

There is no Texas law on carrying a rifle or shotgun. So you can carry open or concealed, loaded or unloaded. BUT.......
Expect to be treated differently when pulled over or dealing with the police. I would say that you are more likely to have problems in populated counties like Harris, Bexar, or Dallas than smaller counties like Carson, Coke, or Kent.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »
Brucesw2,

You may keep the shotgun in your vehicle, and it does not have to be concealed or locked in a gun rack.

Thank you for your question.

rp91855

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »
The City of San Antonio, Texas has a City Ordinance prohibiting the carrying of a loaded rifle or shotgun in public places.

Other cities may have similar ordinances, just some friendly information.

ceejmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 07:24:44 PM »
The City of San Antonio, Texas has a City Ordinance prohibiting the carrying of a loaded rifle or shotgun in public places.

Other cities may have similar ordinances, just some friendly information.

I don't think the city of San Antonio or any other city in Texas can do that. I was under the  impression that no city in Texas can enforce stricter gun laws than the Texas state laws.