Author Topic: 30.06  (Read 5750 times)

spanman

• View Profile
« on: August 21, 2014, 06:15:15 PM »
If injured, by a firearm,  at a 30.06 establishment (I try not to be in those locations), are the owners liable?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: 30.06
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »
I'm not a big fan of blaming someone other than the bad guy for things he or she did, but in this age of litigation, I won't be surprised if someone at least attempts this. I would think a lot of "stars" would have to line up (i.e. prove you habitually carried, dis-armed due to the 30-06 sign before entering, convince a jury that had you been armed it would have made a difference in whether you got injured, and possibly even show that the bad guy chose that location because of the 30-06 sign). After the theater shooting in Auroa, CO. there was an offer by some pro concealed carry guy in Ariz (I think) to pay all attorney fees for anyone that was injured and had disarmed because of the posting if they would sue the theater. I never heard if anything developed.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
spanman,

Maybe. You may be able to bring a civil lawsuit claiming that you were left defenseless due to the establishment’s no-gun policy. I have not seen anyone attempt this tactic, but it is definitely something that could be done. Since there is no precedence on this issue, I cannot predict the likelihood of being able to recover damages from such an establishment.

Thank you for your question.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:44:30 AM »
If this is doable it seems to me it would open up a whole bag of worms for any establishment where people suffer loss because they happen to be there while the place is being robbed.  If you can sue a restaurant for your loss because you were robbed while eating there, I imagine there would be a flood of law suits in the works right now.

cmill89

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:01 PM »
Yes you can hold them liable, and you will win. McDonalds just paid a 20 million dollar settlement because they hired private security instead of allowing legally carried guns on their property. A man was beaten nearly to death and all the security guard could do was sit his fat ass in the golf cart and call police while he was still being beaten on. Alot of businesses are starting to find out, post robberies, and shootings, that when they write a company policy not allowing people to defend themselves in a legal manner, they are now liable for the safety of their patrons, should anything happen to them. There are several settled cases in Texas right now along with several that are in hearings. It makes me grin from ear to ear than its backfiring on companies, cause when you make innocent people sitting ducks, you deserve every bit you have coming to you.