Author Topic: Expunged Arrest Records during CHL application process  (Read 3410 times)

242HappyBuddha

Expunged Arrest Records during CHL application process
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »
Hello,

I have recently finished taking the CHL class, and I am ready to apply for my TX CHL. I was wondering if I am required to mention a Louisiana DUI arrest that occurred back in 2008. The charges were ultimately reduced to "reckless driving", and the records have since been expunged.

Do I still have to put the details of this arrest/charge/conviction into my application?
Thanks for any feedback.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

chevyss2008

Re: Expunged Arrest Records during CHL application process
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:15:08 AM »
I would. They are going to check anyways

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Expunged Arrest Records during CHL application process
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:43:51 AM »
chevyss2008,

First you should make sure that the record were expunged, and not sealed. An expunction destroys all records of the offense, whereas having your records sealed simply prevents private individuals or companies from seeing the result on background checks. The easiest way to check this is to call the county clerk in Louisiana in the county where the offense occurred, and see if they have any records. If it was truly expunged, they should have no results, and you should not report it. If the charge was sealed, the government will still be able to see it. Therefore, you would report the arrest, and include the final disposition to show how the case turned out.

Thank you for your question.