Author Topic: Carrying in banks  (Read 7286 times)

yabu

• View Profile
Carrying in banks
« on: December 08, 2015, 05:21:19 AM »
Had an interesting chat with the branch manager of my local Wells Fargo bank yesterday.  I asked him what Wells Fargo's policy was going to be on open carry.  He said that he thought banks were on the prohibited places list for concealed carry and therefore no guns allowed.  I informed him that banks in Texas were not on that list and he seemed shocked.  I told him that I knew people were carrying while doing business in Wells Fargo banks all the time.  This made him very nervous.  He said they didn't want people carrying in their banks.  I told him then they better put up a 30.06 and a 30.07 sign at their entrance.  He said he had never heard of those signs.  I explained to him what they were.  I can't believe these people are so clueless about the law in this regard. 

MIO

• View Profile
Re: Carrying in banks
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 07:58:21 AM »
Why help them by educating them on how to stop lawful carry?
Our job is to be smart, responsible, legal and that's it.

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »

Of course I'm unaware of "other" banks (I only go into mine occasionally) - Comerica in my neighborhood here in Katy has a pretty elaborate metal detector / door system - you walk "into the box" and have to be buzzed in..................similar to some pawn shops etc. There is not any 30.06 or 30.07 signage present.

I presume this fancy security door system tells me quite clearly that I'm not going to be carrying to "test" what they allow or don't allow

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 08:54:52 AM »
Why help them by educating them on how to stop lawful carry?
Our job is to be smart, responsible, legal and that's it.
Because staying out of trouble is a lot easier than getting out of trouble.  He told me they didn't want guns in the bank and they had contingency plans on how to handle it if they ever saw someone with a gun.  Naturally, he wouldn't tell me what those plans were and I didn't press him on it.  You can bet they would call the cops and report a man with a gun in the bank.  What do you think the cops would do?  Knowing how they feel, it seemed far better to have them put up proper notice of their policy.  It just might keep someone from walking in there openly carrying a gun (legally) and causing a very ugly scene and ruining their day.  I wasn't trying to help the bank - I was trying to keep an unsuspecting license holder out of trouble. 

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
First, if it's concealed, how would they know.  (My banker carries and his staff carries and he's encouraged me to carry.)

Second, if they post a 30.07 sign and you OC, it's only a $200 fine.  If they tell you to leave and you do, you are clear. :)

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »
Man Katfish, you have quite a bank if you have to be buzzed in - certainly not my kind of bank. If there was no 30.06 signage and I hadn't been specifically told, I'm pretty sure I would attempt to go in with my concealed carry piece. It would certainly not be illegal and all they could do is tell you to leave. And I would with my money.

I also wouldn't have "enlightened" the branch manager about current laws and signage. However,if he follows through and puts up the signs, you might have his attention better if you close your accouts and go to a bank that doesn't post.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 05:46:59 AM »
It's been my experience on this forum that I am usually alone in my views.  Well, I was never one to worry too much about what other people thought.  I will, however, offer this:  first, I don't see my bank as the enemy.  I don't see it in terms of "us against them".  Secondly, since I was informed about how they felt about guns in their building (I suspected it anyway) I think it is far better from a license holders's point of view to know up front what the bank's policy is - and if that means getting them to put up the proper signage then so be it.  I'm not going to storm out and close my account of 20yrs because I can't carry my gun on their premises.  To me that's just ridiculous.

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »

Yabu I'm inclined to agree

Neighbor - IMHO banking is currently a "necessary evil" and as such I wish to minimize ANY of my time spent dealing with a bank - MY TIME (to me) is much more valuable than than the potential time spent "attempting to make a statement" by changing banks etc

I "might" at some point "test" that door system by carrying or I might not..................

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 07:16:34 PM »
Sorry Yabu, I wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers. I don't believe I would storm out, but I would try to present the "other side" to them and make them aware that those signs only affect the "more trustworthy" of their clients. Certainly anyone with bad intentions could care less about any sign.

In my opinion (and like you, I am many times in the minority) it is not their policy until they follow the law and communicate it to me in a legal manner and I certainly won't ask. I am also of the opinion that if all licensed concealed carry folks just say "oh well, another place I can't carry - no big deal" soon there won't be anyplace we can carry.

I carry nearly everywhere I go and removing my weapon and leaving it in my vehicle is a pain.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 05:12:15 AM »
Neighbor you and I are not that far apart.  I certainly don't go around encouraging businesses to put up no carry signs.  I also carry all the time and it's obvious that doing that would not be in my best interest.  In the case of my one branch bank, the case is a bit different.  I have had a strong friendly relationship with this bank for 20yrs.  I know most of the people who work there.  My chat with the branch manager was a friendly one.  Once he told me of their policy and what their response would be (hinted at it anyway) I thought it would be better if license holders knew about that ahead of time - hence my suggestion about putting up the signs.  He as much as said that if they became aware that someone was carrying a gun in the bank they were not going to politely ask them to leave (as some have suggested) but they were going to call the cops immediately.  That could result in a very bad day for some unsuspecting license holder.  Better to be warned ahead of time rather than risk a police confrontation.  It seemed like common sense to me. 

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »
Fine.  call the cops.  The cops will give you a chance to leave before they do anything.  Be kind of embarrassing for the bank - especially when Channel 5 is interviewing you on the 10 o'clock news. :)

Bank was too stupid to post a simple sign.  I can't believe any business owner would be that stupid.  It's only been the law for 20 years.  They want me to follow the law?  They should follow the law.  I bet they'd be begging you to carry in their bank. :)

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
I probably wouldn't call it stupid but just ignorance of the laws and regulations. Up until now concealed carry was "out of sight and out of mind" for most folks and therefore they didn't get pushed to know the law or just assumed they did. Like the bank that was mentioned at the beginning of this thread - they didn't see guns so assumed folks couldn't carry in their bank and had no reason to check the law. (I am a little surprised that a large bank like Wells Fargo would not have lawyers that knew the law ?? but also have had the thought that they did know the rules but really didn't care as long as it didn't become a public issue).

Now this open carry has more or less thrown it in the public's and business owners faces in my opinion. I hope the ultimate outcome is not concealed carry losing ground just because the whole carry issue has been brought to the forefront.

One concern I have is that currently our local news is running pieces supposedly about open carry and the decisions that businesses will have to make but they keep showing 30.06 signs as examples of what will have to be posted.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 06:02:43 AM »

Now this open carry has more or less thrown it in the public's and business owners faces in my opinion. I hope the ultimate outcome is not concealed carry losing ground just because the whole carry issue has been brought to the forefront.

O

I agree.  Remember in my original post my question to the branch manager was about open carry - not concealed carry.  When we only carried concealed it was not an issue simply because people didn't know we were doing it.  So the majority of people, even those in business, didn't think much about it and probably didn't educate themselves about gun laws in Texas simply because they didn't much care about the subject.  A year or so back I posted the fact that according to the DPS figures only 2% of the population of Texas have CHL's.  That means 98% of the people of this state are not into guns - at least into guns to the extent of getting a license and carrying one.  I originally said that I couldn't believe the bank was so clueless about the gun laws.  On reflection, I think that was a bit unfair on my part.  People who carry would naturally be more informed on the laws compared to the general population.  Open carry is going to get the attention of a lot of people - people in business - and they are going to have to decide how to deal with it.  I too hope license holders don't suffer as more and more businesses come to grips with this issue. 

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »
I have a bad feeling that now that open carry will be around, most of the places we could carry and those who didn't have signs might just start placing both 30.06 & 30.07.  As YABU mentioned, lots of folks just didn't know the gun law but they will now..

gene814

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 03:52:45 PM »
New to this forum.  Missouri is an open carry state.  Even so, I've never seen any civilian open carry here in St. Louis County.  I know that there have been some "protest" open carry's, but I don't count those due to that being done as a news gathering thing.  My banks here all have a NO Firearms signs posted.  However, as stated earlier, if you conceal carry, they won't know you're carrying.  Since it is a business, if they somehow see the firearm, they can ask you to go outside.  If you comply, that's the end of it.