Author Topic: Carrying in banks  (Read 15057 times)

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Carrying in banks
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »
Gene814, does any "no gun sign" have legal standing in MO or does it take a specific sign like the 30.06 or 30.07 sign here in Texas to concern licensed carriers?

CongoHarry

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »

My FORMER bank displayed this on their entrance doors.  Accordingly, I never carried a revolver into their establishment. 

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 08:07:55 PM »
My bank has a similiar sign (some sort of gun with a line through it) but I don't even notice it any more. I assume it's for someone else - maybe folks carrying long guns or something. I do know that the bank employees as a group went through a concealed carry class, including their spouses if they wanted so I suspect I'm not the only one inside with a weapon. ;)

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 12:23:03 PM »
Personally, one of the times I most want to be armed is just after withdrawing money from my bank account. The idea that I should be prohibited from doing so is reason enough to take my money elsewhere. Also, I ride a motorcycle much of the time. I can't leave my weapon in my vehicle, so I'm effectively prohibited from entering the bank at all if I'm on the bike that day.  I will be changing financial institutions soon for this very reason.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »
I have rights protected by law, it is my responsibility to know and follow the law governing both open and concealed carry. Banks and other businesses also have rights under the law, it is their responsibility to know and follow the law. If their choices under the law do not concur with my rights then I am free to go elsewhere to carry out commerce.
I for one will not do business where my rights as a lawful licensed carrier is forbidden. I know all about business friendships and tenure but I question just how good a relationship is it where one chooses to deny your right to protect yourself ? The bank or business will not nor cannot protect you. Law enforcement cannot be everywhere and typically respond after the carnage has been committed. So it is left to the lawfully armed citizen to protect himself and others around him.Criminals do not follow the law and if you go unarmed to conduct commerce that is precisely what criminals want and need, yet another gun free zone. How insane a mentality.

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 02:10:32 PM »

I (to a certain extent that is MY choice) agree 99.9% on Our / My rights being upheld................that being said *for now* I choose to deal with 25 feet in unarmed mode from Bank-o's door to my vehicle

Changing banks is a major PIA in my world

I did, however, point out to the bank Manager earlier this week that they are risking a FINE if any disgruntled customer(s) report their Lack of legal signage after Jan 1st...................He wasn't completely disinterested but rather blase' about it - we will SEE soon enough!

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
I have rights protected by law, it is my responsibility to know and follow the law governing both open and concealed carry. Banks and other businesses also have rights under the law, it is their responsibility to know and follow the law.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
I did, however, point out to the bank Manager earlier this week that they are risking a FINE if any disgruntled customer(s) report their Lack of legal signage after Jan 1st...................He wasn't completely disinterested but rather blase' about it - we will SEE soon enough!

Katfish, I'm unsure what you mean by this.  I believe you said there were no 30.06 or 30.07 signs at the entrance area of the bank. Are you sugesting a fine for NOT having either of these signs?

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 09:54:14 PM »

Well Neighbor - if I recall my convo w that manager correctly - He was implying he did NOT want customers 'carrying' in his bank

After Jan 1 he can WANT all he wants but without a sign he cannot legally stop folks from carrying - correct?

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 04:37:15 AM »
Katfish, actually he can.  If he see's you carrying (openly I assume) all he has to do is give you verbal notice that guns are not allowed in the bank.  At that point you have to leave or be charged with trespassing. 

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »

Yabu - I reckon my sometimes disjointed postings are merely a function of being in the freight business and dealing with heavy phone traffic (I check blogs etc in between calls or while on hold)

Speaking only for ME - I have no intentions whatsoever of OPENLY carrying (I don't want to be any 'bad guy's first target)

I was under the impression that any business not wanting open carry at their place will be required to have proper signage in place

What am I missing?

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »
If they don't want to have to continuously watch and verbally tell those they notice carrying, you are correct, they need to post 30.07. I don't know that someone can complain and get them in legal trouble if they don't post the correct sign, but tell someone to leave.  Frankly I doubt there will be many that try to open carry into a bank because, like you and I, they just aren't interested in advertizing.

In regard to the concealed carry, if they don't post I would consider it to be OK until I am personally told otherwise (and how will they know?). Obviously the manager you have talked with now knows rules so if no signs show up, I'm thinking it's not really too big a deal - especially the concealed carry. Out of sight - out of mind. 

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 06:20:01 AM »

Yabu - I reckon my sometimes disjointed postings are merely a function of being in the freight business and dealing with heavy phone traffic (I check blogs etc in between calls or while on hold)

Speaking only for ME - I have no intentions whatsoever of OPENLY carrying (I don't want to be any 'bad guy's first target)

I was under the impression that any business not wanting open carry at their place will be required to have proper signage in place

What am I missing?

Katfish, actually we are both right.  I was reading from my "old" penal code book and I just checked the language on the "new" law.  You are right about the signage being required according to the new law.  If they don't want open carry on their premises they have to post the 30.07 sign.  Of course they can still ask you to leave if they don't want you carrying on their premises even if there is no sign posted.  I can imagine this situation:  the business has no objection to open carry - hence, no signs posted.  But suppose customers complain that they are uncomfortable with you carrying openly in the business.  The manager can still ask you to leave to placate the other customers even though they would normally have no objection to your open carry.  So you are right about the requirement in the new law, but a business can still give verbal notice against carrying if they feel it's appropriate.  At any rate, I need to get a new penal code.   :)