Author Topic: Gas station and 30.07  (Read 1860 times)

ceejmo

• View Profile
Gas station and 30.07
« on: January 08, 2016, 11:29:10 AM »
My local corner store/gas station has recently put a 30.06 and a 30.07 sign on the door. Would the covered area at the gas pumps be included in the property effected by the signs and be off limits to concealed and/or open carry?

Last week I heard someone on TV say "if the rain can hit you then you can carry" (with a few exceptions noted). The conversation was referring to parking lots and sidewalks but since this is a covered area where purchases are made would it be considered part of the premises?

SBT

• View Profile
Re: Gas station and 30.07
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:36:52 PM »
I'm interested in this answer, too. The gas station and convenience store near my house did the same thing. 

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:12:22 PM »
Ceejmo,

This is a bit of a gray area for a number of reasons. One reason is that these statutes use the term “property,” instead of premises, as is used in Section 46.035. Another issue is that the language for where the signs should be posted differs between 30.06 and 30.07. An argument for the position that the signs only prohibit carrying within the building can be made given the language of posting at the “entrance to the property.” If the sign is posted on the doors, then it would be logical that the sign is prohibiting carrying past door, as the door’s purpose is to be an entrance inside the building.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
Also, it is not unusual for me to pull in under the canopy, pump my gas, and leave without looking at or going inside the main door. It doesn't seem to me like they could expect a sign or signs on the door to affect what goes on outside near the pumps.