Author Topic: A diagnosis of Bipolar and my CHL.  (Read 3023 times)

mxr4ti23

A diagnosis of Bipolar and my CHL.
« on: December 13, 2015, 03:23:07 AM »
I have read, and I think I understand, the way the CHL law is written but I have questions. After I got my CHL i was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and I currently take Lithium. I did not discuss gun ownership or gun-related anything with my doctor.  I am well adjusted and non-violent.  I just get a little sad or a bit to happy (and spend all my money) from time to time. Should I not carry?  Am I obligated to surrender my license?  Due to HIPPA is it anyone's business besides mine?  What if, God forbid, I ever need to defend myself?  Would my diagnosis come out in court? What could that mean?  Any help here would be truly appreciated. 

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
Re: A diagnosis of Bipolar and my CHL.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »
Not a lawyer.

I don't think you need to worry. Unless you have been declared mentally incompetent or been involuntarily committed to a mental institution or something along those lines, I think you are fine. Now if you ever get down enough to consider suicide or something of that sort, I personally would advise you against keeping a gun around. However, that is a judgment call, not a legal issue. Hope this helps.

Still not a lawyer.

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »
No, you don't need to surrender it.  If someone reports you, DPS may ask for it.  Then, you need to get a letter from your Dr that you are not a danger to yourself or others.  If your Dr won't give you said letter - change Dr's. :)

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 01:09:09 PM »
Mxr4ti23

Given the sensitive nature of this question and that the answer will be dependent on the specific facts of your situation, please call in to speak with an attorney directly.

cmill89

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
My sister has bi-polar disorder. Since she is not considered in remission by a doctor, the state will not issue her a CHL.

HOWEVER, Arizona issues out of state, non resident licenses and as far as mental health goes, you have to be committed against your will, or be considered a danger to society or yourself by a JUDGE, before you are excluded from obtaining a license. I would look into an Arizona carry license which is valid in Texas. I'm getting my sister working on it so she won't be victimized.