Author Topic: Open carry  (Read 22640 times)

yabu

• View Profile
Open carry
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »
From what I read it looks like Open Carry could pass in the next legislative session.  Apparently both candidates for governor support it.  Personally, I have mixed emotions about it.  It would not be practical where I live - senior apartment complex.  I think the sight of a weapon on my hip would upset most people here.  The only advantage open carry would have for me is that I wouldn't have to worry about accidental exposure of the weapon or printing under my shirt.  Also, I might find carrying in an OWB holster (under a t-shirt) would be more comfortable than the IWB holster I currently use.  Curious to know what others think about the open carry issue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Open carry
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
Open carry doesn't do much for me. I'm not against it, but don't really see the advantage. I do have some problems with some of the recent open carry demonstrations and feel like they are doing more damage than good - not just for open carry possibilities, but for concealed carry too. From what I've read the open carry bill probably had a better chance of passing before some of the "in your face" demonstrations upset some businesses and folks.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:43:24 AM »
I agree about the open carry demonstrations having a negative effect.  Walking into a place of business with a rifle over your shoulder is bound to upset a lot of people.  I know the open carry people are trying to make a point; but I think their "enthusiasm" may result in more merchants putting up 30.06 signs in their windows.  As it is now, I rarely see those signs anywhere.

cmill89

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:08:39 PM »
Yabu and Neighbor, with all due respect, you are both dead wrong. Nobody as of yet has been able to find an example of how we are "hurting" gun rights. I am a board member of Open Carry Tarrant County, I have seen first hand how well it is received, ESPECIALLY on the political side. Don't trust what the media says, on ANYTHING, they are nothing but a bunch of statist liars, controlled by corporations. We got prioritized gun legislation on the Republican party platform for the first time in Texas history this past GOP convention. We are working closely with our state reps to make sure this bill does not die on the floor like HB700 did last session. We have been in contact with all of the sherriff's departments within our county, as well as the neighboring counties, with nothing but full support of the LEO's within those jurisdictions. We have also garnered the full support of the Gun Owners of America, several other Open Carry organizations from other states where it's already legal. We also brought the NRA to their knees within 2 days, made them completely retract their statement, and come out in full support of them, after they upset the majority of their monetary contributors. We also have ALOT of members that are precinct chair holders, and hold other small offices of government throughout the state. The media likes it paint the picture of a bunch of unorganized yahoo's just running around brandishing their AR's and AK's. I guarantee you that is NOT the case, and I would personally invite you to any one of our events to further disprove the myths you may have heard.

For the record, all the business that have supposedly "banned" guns from their establishments, didn't really ban them. Its a play on words to shut up MDA and their idiot following. All statements have read they have "requested" patrons leave their guns at home, they have never said an actual outright ban. We have been back to many of those business since they have supposedly banned guns.

Also for the record, we don't enter any business without their express permission before hand. We never have in the past, and we never will in the future. Every picture you have seen on the news, or wherever, has been purposely manipulated to look like people were being irresponsible. Like the famous chipotle picture. We called and spoke with the manager beforehand, he welcomed us in with open arms. The picture of the two guys holding AKs at the "low ready", what they don't show you is out of frame, 3 Dallas cops congregating with the rest of the group, which was about 15-20 guys.

Finally, I've been doing a lot of combing through the FBI and CDC crime and death statistics, and other sources. I have noticed a 5% decrease in crime annually in all OC states from the point of when it was recently legalized, to now. As more gun owners get out and open carry, crime continues to drop at a 5% rate each year. It has been proven time and time again that OC is a crime deterrent. All the arguments about tactical advantage, thats all hear say. If that were true, all police officers, all military, they would all carry concealed. I still have not found 1 case where someone was open carrying, was disarmed by a criminal, and then killed with his own gun. It's simply a myth that has never happened. Criminals are cowards and they like easy prey. They are just as afraid of getting shot as we are, they're not going to take the hard way to rob a store for maybe $100, when they could just go knock off the next one.

We also have no problem with concealed carry, we just believe the 2nd amendment should be upheld in its true intention, and allow law abiding citizens the choice of either or.

Also, if you still wouldn't personally open carry, and are still scared of the idea you might become the first target, or disarmed. I'll tell you what, if I become the first target, hopefully one of you conceal carry guys happen to be in the store and avenge my death. I'm basically giving you a distraction to draw your weapon and eliminate the threat :P

I'd be more than happy to address any more concerns via facebook.

Look up our website http://www.opencarrytarrant.com

There is a link to our FB group page, join us, look on the ADMIN section of the members, my name is Chris Miller, you are more than welcome to PM me if you have any concerns, comments, questions, or whatever.

Carry on friends!

JKL

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 03:50:21 PM »
Since the elections went as planned pretty much, I am wanting open carry. I myself would rarely do so but I think it would help remove the fears of many folks to see guns on the hips of the good guys on a daily basis in everyday places.

I think it will be a wake up for many when they see their neighbor or friend, they never knew carried, with a weapon.  I can see, with open carry, many folks which otherwise would not think twice about a gun, asking questions of legal gun carrying citizens in public places. And I for one would gladly answer most questions they were to ask but of course would never un-holster to show or explain.

The open carry movement is much like other groups, there are those that go too far at times, but the overall goal is to help make the general public a bit more comfortable around guns and people with guns.

I still feel the concealed carry offers me the most protection, and my carry habits are indeed to offer ME the most protection.

I also would like to see this state lead the way in reasonably priced state offered defensive handgun training by law enforcement personnel at law enforcement training centers. I think it would be nothing but good for those attending, the cop on the street, and help fund current and better training centers for law enforcement as well.

Carry on.

EdO

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »
I am a 100% supporter of open carry.   Would I do it?  Probably not.  I prefer to retain the element of surprise.  Have I ever done it?  Frequently in years past when there was no law for or against.  I rue all the liberties we have lost over the years.  Not just the firearms related ones either.  It's amazing how much freedom has been lost in 50/60 years (I'm 71).  Open carry is a small step in regaining those freedoms.  Doubt if we'll ever get them all back,  but I'll take every bit I can get.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »
As I said previously, I'm not against open carry even though I doubt I would do it if legal. My concern is how it will affect our concealed carry situation. If it is passed I hope the signage for not allowing open carry is completely unrelated to 30.06 concealed carry signage.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 07:18:06 AM »
Since our governor elect is in favor of open carry, I expect the bill to come up this next session and pass.  Some issues will have to be addressed when it does.  For instance I assume the state will still want to regulate the carrying of a firearm to some extent.  Will a license be required to open carry?  Will the current CHL law become moot?  If you currently have a CHL will that allow you to open carry?  I'm curious how these issues will shake out.  Even when open becomes legal I doubt I would ever do it - people I associate with would freak out at the sight of a firearm on my hip. :mrgreen:

CongoHarry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
The state of Virginia has allowed open carry for as long as I can remember.  Never been a problem.  As I former resident there for many years, I frequently observed individuals engaged in open carry.  None ever garnered more than a casual glance from bystanders, even in locales in Northern Virginia in proximity to the D.C. line.  Virginia was also among the first jurisdictions to adopt the "shall issue" approach to CHL.  None of the feared "Wild West" scenarios predicted by anti Second Amendment types have come to pass.   The only down side I can see to open carry is being "Swatted" by some joker making a false "man with a gun" 911 call to local law enforcement.  In many jurisdictions it is not uncommon to encounter police officers who hold the view "Guns for me.  None for thee."  Tense moments can ensue, so be polite, courteous, and cooperative while things get sorted out, and everybody untwists their knickers.

jamesh

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
Question on open carry in Florida. Can I open carry outside on my own property? I live in unincorporated part of Seminole county.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »
CongoHarry, is open carry in Virginia legal everywhere (i.e. churches, bars, etc) or are there places that are made off-limits by law? Is there a specific signage a private business can put up to restrict open carry? Is the siganage for not allowing open carry of a firearm the same as concealed carry? Another words, is it possible to be able to conceal carry in places were you cannot open carry? Thanks

kingtut

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »
I'm reminded of a Op-Ed campaign by Field & Stream and Outdoor Life magazines back in the early 70's. Back then few sources of outdoor related media existed and the two publications had a big impact on outdoor enthusiasts of all walks of life. They called to all reasonable minds to end the practice of strapping our deer to the hood of our cars and riding into town for lunch and/or supplies during deer season. Their point being we were creating anti-hunting sentiment from folks who were otherwise neutral on the subject. I believe they had a good point and it relates directly, in my opinion to the issue of open carry. Why put off people who would otherwise have no idea you are carrying a firearm under your shirt?      

Furthermore, in a public setting, I usually sit facing the door for obvious reasons. What is the difference between a thug and a patriot when both walk thru the door with a firearm in full view. As the law stands today, reasonable minds could argue a threat is obvious and I would begin assessing my defensive options. How will I make those determinations in an open carry environment?

And I really find holes in the argument presented here that a 5% drop in crime occurs upon the passing of an open carry law. Statistics can be implied and manipulated to fit any argument, we see that everyday by the Liberal spoon-feeders who have given this country to the dogs.

I'm a realist. If a crackhead, intent on robbery bursts into the cell phone store and sees you standing between him and the cash register with your weapon in full view, you WILL be the very first target-count on it!

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »
I fought for open carry in Oklahoma. I don't open carry except in certain situations. I don't care if you do with one exception.
That exception is when you show up in a group with nothing more than the express intent of showing off in a borderline brandishing effect trying to make people feel your presence. You don't help anything or anyone except your lacking ego, small self esteem and limited Maslows hierarchy theory of the desire to belong. Some tried to state they were helping the business financially. That backfired and many cut them off taking the "cut".
A gun is not to be carried for show. It is to protect you and those around you. It does not make you dangerous. Being dangerous makes you so. Our forefathers did not "sport" firearms in public they carried them.  Maturity, humility and humbleness go a longer ways towards the publics positive thought. Open carry does not make you a warrior. Flight 93 knew this.
Be Smart, Be Safe and Carry Wisely

CongoHarry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 04:37:11 PM »
Quote from: "Neighbor"
CongoHarry, is open carry in Virginia legal everywhere (i.e. churches, bars, etc) or are there places that are made off-limits by law? Is there a specific signage a private business can put up to restrict open carry? Is the siganage for not allowing open carry of a firearm the same as concealed carry? Another words, is it possible to be able to conceal carry in places were you cannot open carry? Thanks

Sorry for the delayed response, Neighbor!  I should check these boards more often.  I left Virginia several years ago.  At that time, the legislature was debating several changes to the law in this regard.  At that time, concealed carry in churches was prohibited "without good reason." Being rather vague, I believe that law may have since been changed to permit concealed carry in church.  Accordingly, open carry may have been deemed an unnecessary distraction and discouraged by clergy.  During my years there I was a member of 4 different churches and never witnessed anybody open carry at church.   Concealed carry at shopping malls was prohibited as was open carry.  The law may have been changed to permit concealed carry, however, shopping malls are private property and they may choose to prohibit either manner of carry.  No concealed or open carry guns at all on school property or hospitals.  "Bubba laws" (yes, they were specifically called that) were enacted to permit parents with shotgun racks in their pickup trucks retrieve their kids from school.  I believe, however, Fed law has now superseded that, and prohibits all guns within one thousand feet of a school.   As for bars, Virginia doesn't have bars by strict definition.  It has restaurants that serve alcohol.  Their receipts must always be at least 51% from food sales, or they lose their liquor license.  Concealed carry was prohibited in restaurants that served alcohol.  Open carry was permitted at the proprietor's discretion.  Made no sense, but there you have it.  If asked to leave because of your gun, you had to immediately leave or face a misdemeanor trespass charge.  I never observed "30.06" signage at any establishment.   Witnessed quite a few of the home made variety.  All banks displayed a silly non-legally binding "traffic sign" decal on their glass entry doors depicting a circled silhouette of a revolver with a diagonal bar across it.  Everyone of course interpreted it as "No Revolvers." We followed this directive without question, and never took a revolver into a bank.  Most businesses avoided the issue by not posting anti-gun signage of any kind, and just let it go.  Those that made law abiding gun toters feel unwelcome quickly lost business.  The "wild west" scenario predicted by hoplophobes never materialized, and everybody quickly became accustomed to the sight of a gun on somebody's hip.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »
I like the "no revolvers" interpretation of the sticker signs on the bank. Was there a specific type sign that were required to be legal if a business owner wanted to keep guns out or would any sign work?  I doubt they called it 30.06 signage since that is a Texas law thing. Thanks for the reply - you are right in that some of the rules seem sort of strange (like no concealed carry where sell liquor but open carry ok unless told to leave???)