Author Topic: Open carry  (Read 32737 times)

RonJeanJr

Re: Open carry
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »
I prefer it being concealed, as a perp would obviously try to snatch it from you from behind if he knew you had it to use it for harm. But with open carry, I wouldn't even have to worry about legal ramifications if my shirt incidentally moved in the wrong direction while picking something up, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasCarry

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »
With 44 states having open carry and all 4 states touching Texas having open carry; Can you cite a single time what you are proposing has happened? You won't be able too. It's a myth not supported by a shred of data. Oklahoma has been a licensed open carry state since 2012 and their crime rate has dropped by 7%. Not a single instance of what you say will happen has happened.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 07:52:42 PM »
Might not happen often, but according to news out of Yakimaw, Washington a man was attacked in a sporting goods store by a man with a bat. He was able to defend himself but apparently the man (a convicted felon) was trying to get the .357 sig he was open carrying. Also in Oregon a man was robbed of his brand new Sig that he was open carrying. A man walked up, asked for a light, and then said, "I like your gun, give it to me" and drew his own weapon.
I know neither of these is in a state bordering Texas, but don't say something like this never happens. I found these 2 instances in about a 2 minute search.
I'll still stick with concealed carry.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
Quote from: "Neighbor"
Might not happen often, but according to news out of Yakimaw, Washington a man was attacked in a sporting goods store by a man with a bat. He was able to defend himself but apparently the man (a convicted felon) was trying to get the .357 sig he was open carrying. Also in Oregon a man was robbed of his brand new Sig that he was open carrying. A man walked up, asked for a light, and then said, "I like your gun, give it to me" and drew his own weapon.
I know neither of these is in a state bordering Texas, but don't say something like this never happens. I found these 2 instances in about a 2 minute search.
I'll still stick with concealed carry.
Even the "Boston bomber" killed the officer for his gun and bases are targets too where soldiers in training get robbed. It happens so just think about it, train for it and be real about it as you open carry. Nothing has happened here in Oklahoma since passing open carry that I'm aware of but "never" is not.

Floyd

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 09:21:17 PM »
I have several friends that are Police Officers in Colorado where we are allowed to Open Carry everywhere except for Denver County. One of then said something to me once about open carry that really stuck with me. He said that only three types of people open carry:  1) The yahoo that just wants to make a statement. 2) The person who does not want to get the proper training needed to carry concealed. 3) Or someone who's crazy.  Either one of the three it's not someone that he likes to deal with.

Now I'm not saying I agree or disagree with his statement but you have to consider what he thinks, and how he looks at open carry. Myself I do carry concealed and I try to train in one thing or another at least once a month. Sometimes more if I have the chance.  I have known over a dozen people that open carry and I have to admit you can usually fit them into one of the three types above. ( And by the way not One of them know I carry, and I hope they never find out) I even ran into a guy that was open carrying but had no magazine in the sidearm. Now I don't normally ask someone about there firearm until I know them but I just couldn't resist in this case. When I asked him about it he said:  The gun don't work but I could beat someone with it if I had to.  I was Shocked!  I didn't even know where to start with that so I just shook my head and walked away.

Now I know there are very responsible people out there that do carry open as well. But we all know the problems that arise are usually not with the responsible ones. So I guess what I'm saying is I just think it's better to get the proper training and carry concealed.  Just my option and I hope it doesn't offend anyone. But I did what to share the story of what my officer friend had said.

Safe Shooting to All

EdO

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »
Well,  like it or not,  it's going to happen come January 2016.  

I don't really think we're going to seem much difference..  I've spent a lot of time in neighbouring states, all of which permit open carry,  and have never seen anybody doing so.  I applaud Texas for allowing it,  but I will continue to carry concealed.  It's wonderful to have the choice.  It also removes the chance of having to convince the Officer that "printing" is not illegal.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 01:45:29 PM »
I know I might get slammed for saying this but just like those who want to open carry, I guess I have a right to say what I’m about to say.

I use to be a Deputy Sheriff Deputy many years ago and I know what all law enforcement officers have to deal with when it comes to dealing with a person carrying a weapon.

Just because we may have a right to carry our weapons Openly when this passes might not be the best idea.  First of all, there will be NO WAY a police officer will know if you should legally be carrying this weapon.  You may be a felon or even under age.  The only way they will know is to harass you and ask you to show proof and this is NOT what you want to happen.  The ONLY benefit I will like about this law is that if my weapon is accidentally exposed, I might be in trouble.

I just DON’T see a real reason for someone wanting everyone to know you are carrying unless you just want to play policeman or want others to be afraid of you.  Also you need to think about going in public places.  Just because the law will pass DOESN’T mean that ALL establishments will allow you into their businesses.  They have a right to refuse if they like.  I conceal carry and if someone comes to my home after this passes carrying openly, I will ask them to conceal or leave.  I don’t like public attention…!!!

My 2 cents….

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 07:05:17 PM »
Lots of things are legal but not good ideas like maybe old retired folks driving because they can draw attention crossing over lines and going slow but I wouldn't unfriend one at the house because of it or saying whatever you want" cause its your right". I've been in law enforcement for 16 and retired military for 20. I'm not afraid of people who legally carry and use their brains anymore than I am of drivers who do the same.
I do think concealed gives you an advantage by allowing for one of the three elements to succeed with it being surprise. Remember folks anti-gunners are trolling looking for cracks just like this. Don't feed them.

NBC

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:24 PM »
If I read the new "open Carry" law correctly. It appears it will no longer be a class A Misdemeanor if you accidentally carry your gun into a business that has a 30.06 (or 30.07) sign posted. It's now only a class C with a maximum $200 fine.

gunner

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »
I have kind of a different idea about open carry and its effect on business.  I live in the DFW area, and although there are those liberals out there that still think guns kill people, there seems to be a high percentage of people with CHLs.  I must admit that I have no specific data on that, but maybe it's the places I go and people I know.  I do think that initially businesses may be hurt with open carry, but after a while, I think it will go the other way.  I know many CHLs that will not go to businesses now that have the 30.06 signage.  I personally will probably not open carry, but, like others, I like the security of accidentally showing my concealed weapon not being a problem.  I have a holster that I can carry openly that does not look like a holster.  It looks like a case for a phone or small tablet on my belt.  I can carry that openly now because it is concealed.  I find it easier to carry open as far as holsters that fit, etc.  If I do carry open, I will probably also carry concealed at the same time, much like a police officer carrying a back up piece.

Anyway, time will tell on the businesses. I hope that people's paranoia about guns subsides.

texasmr2

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 11:41:46 PM »
Personally I am all for open carry and I cannot wait to be able to not have to worry. Also a lot of TX CHL holders do not know that the 100% concealment and impression law changed for 2015 and is no longer enforced, info I learned last year taking the "State and Federal Law Updates" as part of my training requirements. I am also a former deputy sheriff and still retain a valid/up-to-date TX Peace Officers License but I am between departments and my CHL license expired so I must renew that. There is also that other topic regarding CHL badges and I will probably carry one just because I can.

The true gift is we will soon have that choice and if (when) signed into law, the measure would take effect Jan 1, 2016 and make Texas the 45th state to allow open carrying of handguns.

daniel8888

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2015, 10:33:59 PM »
I'm one of those retired fellas that watched the short lived fads as I aged.  Did my farming, ranching, hunting, military enlisted/officer, VFWs, VAs, Parades, Charities, Volunteering etc... I remember the Urban Cowboy fad where country dancing and fake mechanical bull riding bars were filled to capacity.  The one in Fort Worth Texas is still going strong.  Jeans, hats, belts, exotic skinned boots, belt buckles, line dancing, and fancy trucks you'd not want to scratch with a hay bale were the fad, especially for the upscale yuppies.  Doctors in the day, Cowboy's at night.  You're Seven Eleven gal could be a Country Queen for a night.  All hat and no ranch.  Hobby horsing.  Those were the days.  Now I'm seeing these open holster companies that are making custom fancy holsters and belts with months of back order.  Preparation for January 1, 2016.  My thoughts is all custom holster with designer hand grips, shiny guns with gold engraving, fast draw lessons and trick shot scams. If it happens, I hope it goes by quick. The right people Concealed Carry, Open Carry, CHL License, Reciprocity, Good Citizen, Freedom; I hope that stays and is never just a fad.

daniel8888

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2015, 11:08:57 PM »
I just want to add more of my thoughts, this fad I predict and my knowledge of the strong need of human beings to be a part of a fad; open carry for some without licenses, felons, gang members or underage (age less than 21) children may mean to them that by participating in the "fad", like fake licenses to get into a bar, by carrying fake fancy look alike weapon on fancy real open carry gear posing as Good Citizens will be known and such expecting to do so without fear of prosecution. Real gun, Real prosecution.  Fake gun, no prosecution?  So when I hear concealed over open carry and element of surprise, with the added element of posers where are the safe or best practices rules of engagement?  I'm just overthinking this.  We're all Texas Law Shield members and pretty much have the same common fiber.  Thought I'd add to other possible scenarios.  Should I have offended anyone, it wasn't my heartfelt intention.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
Quote from: "texasmr2"

The true gift is we will soon have that choice and if (when) signed into law, the measure would take effect Jan 1, 2016 and make Texas the 45th state to allow open carrying of handguns.

Yes, Texas will join 44 other states and allow open carry of hand guns - and I bet it will be as rare as in every other state that allows it.

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2015, 09:49:31 AM »
Does anyone know how the new Texas open carry will affect carrying a handgun in a vehicle. Is it required to be concealed if not on your person? Does it have to be in a holster if not concealed? If you leave the vehicle, (say, with wife waiting, and she has no CHL), does pistol need to be concealed? Details like these. Thanks