Author Topic: Open Carry law "tramples on rights of private property owners"?  (Read 12092 times)

Neighbor

• View Profile
Open Carry law "tramples on rights of private property owners"?
« on: December 20, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »
An editorial in the Sunday Longview News is taking the position that the Open Carry law is a poorly written law and a burden to some.
The part that caught my attention was the following paragraph; "Perhaps more troubling, this law also tramples on the rights of private property owners. Business owners and others who wish to bar open carry essentially are being taxed through the law's requirement of erecting signs to inform the public of the prohibition."
My question is how else is the general public to know?

MIO

• View Profile
Re: Open Carry law "tramples on rights of private property owners"?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »
I understand their point of view having owned a business in that yes it is an additional expense. HOWEVER it should cost you to infringe on a right so my sympathy is left in the dictionary between sh.. and syphilises.
They should have voted and fought it hard as they are whining about it now. The same can be said of gun owners. You-tubing it doesn't cut it. Contact your politicians and fight in the right arena.

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
Taxed by having to erect signs? Really? If you're that cheap, print it out on paper and tape it to the inside of the door. It's not like it has to be a neon sign or anything. If you don't want people trespassing on your land, you have to put up "Posted" signs. Nobody complains in the news about that. It's just more of the news media trying to paint gun owners in a bad light.

EdO

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »
Not really worth a comment,  but I'm used to being wasteful ..... Have you ever heard the term "liberal press?"   If not, there's a perfect example. 

Hizzoner

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »
They could always forego the signs and just inform people that they are not allowed to open carry in the business.  No expense.

stealth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:08:22 PM »
They don't have to erect signs. They have other options. The editorial is wrong, which is hardly surprising.

Colonel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:39:45 PM »
Property owners and business owners need to realize that licensed concealed or open carriers are less likely to be a criminal than the police. Licensed carriers are dedicated citizens willing to put their lives on the line to combat crime. They are the true first line of defense while waiting on the police to arrive. Business put their patrons lives at risk when they make their stores gun-free kill zones. Look at signs on Walmart and CVS. The only sign is the warning about unlicensed carry, no 30.06 or 30.07 signs. These stores are setting a good example of what should be everywhere.

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 04:26:32 PM »

a handy business card available on open Carry Texas

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 06:29:58 PM »
Yes, I have seen cards similiar to these in the past. I will say, however, that I will not be using anything like this that associates me with Open Carry Texas. I do not agree with their tactics.

bhoefling

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
what tactics would that be?

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »
The "in your face" open carry marchs and demonstrations they were known for during the open carry legislative process this past year. I believe it cost us some of our concealed carry locations.