Author Topic: Customization  (Read 3925 times)

Hizzoner

Customization
« on: December 22, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
This discussion has come up among my friends:

Do we create problems for ourselves with modifying and customizing our carry guns?  Does changing a trigger that has a 5.5# pull to one that has a 3.5# pull make for a potential defense issue?  I would think that engraving a gun with something like "Don't Tread on Me" down the side of the slide could potentially be used by prosecution to portray the gun owner as a "trigger happy, gun nut" out looking for someone to shoot.

Hizzoner

Re: Customization
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »
I think that I could see where a trigger modification could be explained away as making the gun more accurate (or making you more accurate with the gun :)

But, I would think that a defense attorney would cringe if he saw that your weapon looked like this:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:24:26 PM by Hizzoner »

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:35:25 PM »
It's been discussed on here that an attorney could try to use anything to make you look bad. TLS also mentioned that it is your attorneys job to keep things like this out. However, as we see in the news, it could just be the media dragging up everything they can. For instance if it was a trial about an accidental discharge, I can see where having modified the trigger pull might get brought up.
Things that you post on this forum might also be brought up. :)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:39:57 AM »
Regarding the "Don't tread on me" adorned 9MM -
I say it is ludicrous of one to accuse another of malicious intent because their weapon wore earmarks like those in the picture. If you intentionally  struck someone with a VW Beetle as opposed to a dump truck would it appear less deadly,less malicious? I think not. If in a defensive manner you were to use a .22 caliber pistol as opposed to a .500 Smith and Wesson revolver does that make you more justified in the act of defense. Would you be deemed any less the aggressor by the prosecutors or kooks on the left ?
Falling for this fear mongering is exactly what the left, pc crowd wants. They want you and I to conform to their ideals. They want you to give up your own identity, your own values and freedom of expression. None of my weaponry bear any such roll marks or insignia but if I chose to carry the like I would because I am a free man and not a subject of tyranny. I carry with the intent to defend life and liberty. I have no desire to draw my weapon. I hope that I never have to. I carry as an act of defense. My right to arm and protect will not be measured or determined by those who do not support my freedom in the first place. It's a shame that we now live in a country where alarm is sounded over such a trivial matter and real concerning threats are imminent yet ignored and denied by government officials.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »
A lawyer is going to bring up "don't tread on me" in a negative light and then another good lawyer will bring up that it is the correct terminology coordinated with the 2nd amendment and a celebration of my American history. It represents one of many items that make the United States of America the greatest country in the world. They could also easily bring up how I would know having spent many years abroad while serving, and now retired from, the greatest Army of the world. The same army that once flew this flag while fighting for our freedom.

CongoHarry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 08:14:29 AM »
"Optics" can be a bear.  Well, for what it's worth, I know personally of a criminal case wherein this very thing was introduced into evidence by the prosecution, along with everything in the defendant's "arsenal" in his "compound."  Decorate, modify, and accessorize to your heart's content, but if dragged into court, have an attorney who knows what he/she is talking about when it comes to firearms and the shooting sports.  It's the only way to counter a prosecutor intent in advancing his/her career over your broken bones. It's why I chose to sign up with TLS.