Author Topic: Texas Open Carry... the 30.07  (Read 3972 times)

Tom Moeller

Texas Open Carry... the 30.07
« on: December 26, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »
My local grocery store (only one in the area) has posted the 30.07 warning. I have no beef with this on a practical level but since I will only open carry or only owb I have a question as to what will remove the belt holstered weapon from 30.07 applicability.

There is a holster called the Sneaky Pete that does not look like a holster but when the gun gets larger it no longer looks like a phone holder either and this qualifies for concealed carry regs.  This is one option to carry on my belt and still not run afoul of 30.07.

My preferred work around will to be to cover (loop scarf, custom holster cover bag) the "offending" firearm.

If I go to the store in open carry and drape a cover over my pistol and holster, does this qualify as conceal carry (printing is no legal issue)?

Tom

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Texas Open Carry... the 30.07
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »
Why not just pull your shirt out and let it cover the weapon or put on a coat that covers it if weather dictates?

Tom Moeller

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 04:29:11 PM »
Why not just pull your shirt out and let it cover the weapon or put on a coat that covers it if weather dictates?

Because that does not address the question I asked.
If I wanted to untuck and retuck my shirt that would be the obvious solution.

Any legit answers out there?

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »

Until a Lawyer answers - ALL answers are 'legit' until proven otherwise

(part and parcel of posting inquiries is receiving responses)..............so agree or disagree at your discretion but no whining!

IMHO (no lawyer here) 'covered' / 'concealed' is just that >>>>concealed. If no one sees the weapon how will any subsequent conversation ever begin?

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 07:56:56 PM »
Sorry Tom - should have kept ideas to myself until a Lawyer responded. Was just offering what I thought was an easy, non eye-catching "fix" to go from open carry to concealed.

Tom Moeller

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »

Until a Lawyer answers - ALL answers are 'legit' until proven otherwise

(part and parcel of posting inquiries is receiving responses)..............so agree or disagree at your discretion but no whining!

A response that does not address the question at hand is not an answer to that question.  The one question mark in my post should have identified the question I have.  Did it not work for you?

Save the admonishments regarding whining for a post that exhibits whining.

ceejmo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
If the firearm can't be seen then it is concealed even if it prints to the point it can be determined it is a firearm. It would then fall under 30.06 and not 30.07. However, if you carry concealed into the establishment and someone of apparent authority ask you to leave because they can tell that you are concealing a weapon then you must leave or face trespassing charges. The verbal request doesn't have to be any specific wording. It can be as simple as "No guns allowed. You have to leave."  At that point you must leave.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »
Tom Moeller,

As long as the handgun is not in “plain view,” then you will be properly concealing the firearm. This includes the enclosed case as well as covering the firearm with clothing.

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »

Because that does not address the question I asked.
If I wanted to untuck and retuck my shirt that would be the obvious solution.

Any legit answers out there?

We all have our own perspectives - to wit:
"admonishment"? I prefer to think of my input as a simple observation based on MY point of view.
Was my use of "whining" extreme? Not to me or I'd not have used it. (unless one CHOOSES to take such a term personally).

As a headon crash survivor (Yes I was the poor schmuck on a motorcycle that day) and frequent poster on dozens of internet forums since the fall of 2000 - perhaps I'm a bit too cynical for many people's tastes. But I rarely, if ever, take another poster's comments personally.

In ANY 'public forum' (even this one which is of course limited to the 'public' group of TLS members) - when one poses an inquiry, varying responses are likely, inevitable, and quite LEGIT until proven otherwise.

The Gent even apologized! (quite unnecessarily in my view).

IMHO - a much more 'respectful' response to Neighbor's input might have been:
"Well neighbor THANKS for your reply but unfortunately Your input does not IMHO adequately address my original inquiry.
Might anyone else have some input?"

..........merely one poster's 'dos centavos' and well worth the cost!    :)

HAPPY and SAFE NEW YEAR!

Tom Moeller

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 10:03:34 PM »
Katfish:  You type too much.  I didn't make a big deal out of it.  No need for you to tenderize the deceased equine.

TLS:  Thank you.  That was the phrase I was looking to help guide my judgement.
"Not in plain view." 

Plunkett

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
Although I don't use it very much, I have a "sneaky Pete" that fits a compact .45 from Springfield Armory.  I've never had anyone say anything but if they did my prepared response was I just have a really big cell phone...

EugeneH

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »
So I have a question about 30.07. If a private business has a 30.07 sign out then that means that I am prohibited from open carrying in that business, right? Okay then what if I just untuck my shirt and cover my weapon and holster with my shirt but someone will obviously be able to see I have a concealed weapon because it will be printing through the shirt? Is that concealed or still open carry? Furthermore then if a business has a 30.06 sign out only and not a 30.07 sign to can I open carry there and not conceal it? Or is a 30.06 sign basically mean it is a gun free zone?

BK

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 01:01:59 PM »
For myself, when I get my LTC here pretty soon and begin to carry, then unless and until Legal tells me otherwise, I am going to assume that recognizable printing of a fully-covered handgun equals open carry of the handgun. By "recognizable printing" I mean printing of the shape of the handgun, itself, such as the grip or barrel or whatever, not just the showing of a bulge that an observer might assume rightly or wrongly that covers a concealed handgun.

With that, I am going to assume that if I am attempting to carry concealed but am printing, then a 30.07 sign will apply to me, and I will need to either fully conceal or leave the handgun outside.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 09:00:47 PM »
Overall, the general public is not that observant, in my opinion. Many of us on this forum might notice guns under shirts, etc. because we are "in that business" and watch for it, but the average person probably won't notice a shirt covered weapon or may see a bulge but not identify it. Lots of iphones, medical devices, etc. out there.

BK

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 09:25:47 PM »
Like I said, by "recognizable printing" I mean printing of the shape of the handgun, itself, such as the grip or barrel or whatever, not just the showing of a bulge that an observer might assume rightly or wrongly that covers a concealed handgun.

I think that most members of the public are observant enough to recognize the outline of a pistol in one's hip pocket or front pocket as the outline of a pistol, particularly when the pistol has worn its outline mark on a pair of jeans over time. (Ever seen a faded snuff can circle on the hip pocket of a pair of jeans?)

My experience in working with the public is that people are getting nuttier every day. The less I let them see, then the less chance I have of some ding-dong or ding-a-ling causing needless trouble for me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:34:12 AM by BK »