Author Topic: Texas Open Carry... the 30.07  (Read 9544 times)

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Open Carry... the 30.07
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 01:03:31 PM »
Hi BK.

It's been covered before on these forums, but I have also been told personally by the TLS attorneys: Printing is not a thing. It's not a crime, and it's not referenced in the law. Is it advisable to conceal carry in a way that does not show the outline of the gun? Yes. Are you open carrying if you don't? No. Concealed means concealed. If you can't see the gun or part of the gun, then it is concealed. Hope this helps.

That said, I am not a lawyer.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 05:42:05 PM »
LucasMcCain is correct. If you enter a business that is posted 30.07 but not 30.06, however, I believe you can still be asked to leave if your "legally concealed" firearm is too obvious and causes someone "in authority" concern. Once you are asked to leave, it won't matter whether the weapon is "concealed" or not.

BK

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 06:02:05 PM »
LucasMcCain is correct. If you enter a business that is posted 30.07 but not 30.06, however, I believe you can still be asked to leave if your "legally concealed" firearm is too obvious and causes someone "in authority" concern. Once you are asked to leave, it won't matter whether the weapon is "concealed" or not.

The law and opinions regarding same notwithstanding, there remain practicalities. There will be ding-dongs and ding-a-lings who will say (wrongly) that if they can see the imprint of the handgun and thereby see that it's a handgun, then that is "open."

You do what you want. But for myself, if I am going to carry concealed, I want my handgun to be concealed to the extent that it will not draw attention from anyone.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:22:19 AM by BK »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
EugeneH,

Even if the outline of the gun is clearly visible, since the gun is concealed by a layer of clothing, the gun is concealed. It may be an unwise practice, but under the plain language of the statute, it will not be considered open carrying. As for 30.06 signs and 30.07 signs, they prohibit different manners of carrying and are independent of each other. Both must be posted in order to properly prohibit a license holder from carrying. Also note that both statutes provide for oral notice to be sufficient.