Author Topic: New Open Carry  (Read 12419 times)

MIO

• View Profile
New Open Carry
« on: December 27, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
I'm hoping that Texas open carry goes over as lackluster as Oklahoma when we did ours. The groupies all went out and celebrated making a big show for the tv. Then for a few weeks there were many then it just tapered off and I rarely see one anymore. Most stores and businesses just want concealed but it's been quiet. There was no "Wild West" show as predicted. The idiots weeded themselves out in short order and were appropriately handled.
Having lived and worked in a culture of firearms I almost find it amusing. It's no big deal.
Practice, obey the law but most importantly stay safe. There are far worse things than breaking a law when dealing with lethal instruments and man.

yabu

• View Profile
Re: New Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:51:16 AM »
I agree.  I think that once the novelty of open carry wears off we'll see it less.  Eventually I suspect it will be the exception rather than the rule.  I think that has been the case in other states. 

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »
I suspect that you are right - open carry probably won't be a big deal after the 1st few weeks. However, I do have a concern. With all this media hype leading up, I'm concerned numerous places will post 30.07 and 30.06 while they are at it and once the posting is done, they won't go away.

I hope I am wrong.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:43:14 AM »
I'm concerned numerous places will post 30.07 and 30.06 while they are at it and once the posting is done, they won't go away.

I hope I am wrong.

There is a lot of chatter on another forum about this very thing.  There is a lot of anger directed at OCT (Open Carry Texas) and the tactics they used to get open carry passed.  They say that OCT has poisoned the well for open carry support among many merchants.  Walking into stores carrying rifles upset a lot of people and may well have caused 30.07 signs to be posted where they might not have been otherwise.  And I agree that once the signs are up they are not likely to come down. 

FCH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:42:41 AM »
Don't give OCT any credit.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:23:49 PM »
Here is a video I got today

Sheriff Troy E. Nehls PSA on Open Carry Law - YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=08BSFkgioMQ

Again I'm hopeful but I'm also seeing some folks on here that appear to be trying to "buck the man". They will be weeded out soon. That happens everywhere. They are usually on a YouTube video screaming "contact my lawyer". I even saw one calling out TLS lol. Just do what you need to.
If your trying to prove a point then you are missing the point.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:34:59 PM by MIO »

GKF

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 08:11:19 AM »
I agree with yabu. I think there will be more businesses putting up 30.06 signs to go with the 30.07 that didn't care before.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 12:36:58 PM »
I went out this morning to the corner store and while riding around, I haven't seen anyone out with their Open Carry weapon yet.  Has anyone seen any Open Carry around since the law is active..

mathewslw

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »
Neighbor, You are right about posting 30.06 and 30.07 signs at places of business. January 1, both signs were placed at my work. I've been with the company for over fifteen years. There were no signs before.

baylorgrad

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 02:01:58 PM »
I have a current concealed weapon and handgun permit from florida. u am a resident of texas. can I open carry also with the Floridian license?

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 04:27:34 PM »
Well did Texas fall apart!?! Lol
Zzzzzzz
Much ado bout zilch

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 09:22:14 PM »
baylorgrad, I believe I saw your question asked and answered in the Ask the Lawyer section.

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
So far, I've not seen anyone open carry. I haven't done so myself, although I have started using a paddle holster instead of the IWB holster much of the time. I have seen two changes in postings at businesses:

The Kroger near me put up a printed sign saying something along the lines of "we don't allow people to carry weapons in our store unless they are licensed to do so." This was put up directly next to the "The unlicensed possession of a handgun on these premises..." sign, so I'm really not sure what point they think they're making.

The other change was where I bank, Texas Trust Credit Union. They used to have a 30.06 posted, but they took it down and posted a 30.07. I have to say I'm actually quite happy with that change.

BK

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »
LucasMcCain, just speculation on my part, but five will get you ten that the responsible party at Texas Trust Credit Union mistakenly thinks that the new 30.07 sign is an upgrade replacement to the 30.06 sign and covers both open and concealed carry.

texan2011

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 09:45:36 AM »
Has anyone seen a 30.07 sign at there local grocery stores? At the store I shop at the sign in at the bottom of the window near the ground behind the shopping cart line. It seems to me this is not a conspicuous location.

Also, what if a business doesn't have a sign properly worded or installed, what do you do?