Author Topic: What is Public/What is Private  (Read 2242 times)

Hizzoner

What is Public/What is Private
« on: December 28, 2015, 08:46:26 AM »
If I go to a gym everyday (middle of the work day), wearing my normal attire and change in the locker room to exercise, my weapon will be seen as I dress and undress.  I would then lock my weapon in a locker. If I am dressing/undressing in a men's dressing/locker room, am I violating the concealed carry rule by exposing the weapon? Is a locker room considered private to me? I guess that changes as of January 1, but it also brings to mind a challenge of what to do with the weapon while at the gym.

I have two choices I guess. 

1) Leave the weapon in the truck (locked). But, I would then worry about someone seeing me dress/undress with an empty holster. I would worry about someone seeing me with the empty holster and knowing that there was a gun in my truck and wait for me one day and steal the weapon from my truck while I work out.

2) Leave the weapon holstered and lock it in my locker while I exercise and worry about someone stealing it from the locker.

It would really not be very convenient to completely unholster before going in.

What do you guys do?

yabu

• View Profile
Re: What is Public/What is Private
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »
When I first started carrying (concealed) I knew there would be times when I would have to remove my weapon temporarily and secure it - like when I had to do business in a post office or hospital where firearms were prohibited.  I bought one of those locked cases that attach to your car seat frame and put the gun in there.  Between a gym locker room locker and the locked box in my locked car - I suppose the car is the safest place to put the weapon.  Besides, not everyone is going to notice your empty holster as you undress.  But if you are worried about someone in the gym locker room breaking into your car while you work out I would find a higher class gym.   ;)

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:28:47 PM »
I work out early in the morning at like 4. I leave it off till afterwards then dress properly. I do carry when I run though. It will take some work but it's worth it.
I heard that the trainer Clint Smith stated that carrying a weapon is convenient not comfortable. This is one of those times. 

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 04:32:35 PM »
Hizzoner,

The locker room would still be considered a public place, so you will have to either leave the weapon in the vehicle or remove the weapon in the locker room in a way that the weapon is not plainly visible to others (perhaps wrapping it in a shirt when you remove it).