Author Topic: The Parking Lot Law and the rights of employees  (Read 3564 times)

mathewslw

The Parking Lot Law and the rights of employees
« on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:16 AM »
I recently attended a Texas Law Shield seminar. I thought that I knew the law and its restrictions relating to an individual being allowed to have a concealed and secured gun in there vehicle while parked in an employer's parking lot at work. The law does exit, but what I didn't know was that an employer can terminate an employee that does this. My own place of employment states in our company handbook that it considers there parking lots as not being off limits. My question then is what is the value of the law if an employee does not have protection under the law? Larry mathews

jerryk

• View Profile
Re: The Parking Lot Law and the rights of employees
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »
Lets see if I have this straight. IF your company restricts firearms on thiep property including the parking lots you can be terminated for violating their policy. You cannot be procucuted because you have not violated any law although. Here are the caviots, How are they going to know you have a firearm locked in your vehicle? even if they have security there are places to hide a firearm where they will not find it. First of all most security are nothing more than glorifyed Walmart greeters and most do not know what they are looking at when they see it. I am assuming you did not give them a spefic reason to search your vehical in the first place.

BTW My vehicle is searched everyday (sometimes 2-3) considering where I work, so I have first hand knowledged of this.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
You will find it discussed several places about the parking lot law being a paper tiger (i.e. it is the law, but there is no set punishment if it is broken). It is sad that this is the case, but maybe something will be changed in the future. I'm guessing that if you were fired specifically for having a weapon in your vehicle and you had not been causing a problem, a good lawyer could get you some satisfaction. Certainly don't talk with anyone at your place of employment about it or give any indication you might have a weapon in your vehicle.

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:01:35 AM »

Certainly NOT a Lawyer here - but IIRC Texas is a 'right to work' State - employees can be hired OR terminated for ANY reason the employER has...........any potential redress for the employee is on a case by case basis