Author Topic: 30.07 at my Apartment complex.  (Read 28256 times)

yabu

• View Profile
Re: 30.07 at my Apartment complex.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 06:44:59 AM »
Just signed a new lease at my apartment complex.  The new lease used by all apartments belonging to the Texas Apartment Association has been changed in regard to carrying firearms on their property.  The infamous paragraph "20" has added the words "except where allowed by law" in the restrictions on carrying firearms.  That's sounds encouraging until you read several pages later about the "additional restrictions" options.  There are four options for the complex to check - each one limits how you may carry and where.  My complex checked the 3rd option which is the most severe.  Basically, it says carrying a firearm concealed or open is prohibited everywhere outside your own apartment.  I cannot even carry my gun from my apartment to my car without violating the lease.  You cannot discharge a firearm on the property "even is self-defense" without being subject to eviction.  This is very discouraging since this lease is the one all apartments across the state will be using from now on.   

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
Yabu, you mentioned option # 3 was the most severe. I assume apartment complex management could select one of the less severe or none?
Not trying to suggest this isn't a bad deal - seems like there are more and more hurdles being thrown against legal carry.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:15:54 PM by Neighbor »

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 07:59:57 PM »
Right, Neighbor, I am a bit surprised at the push back coming from apartment complexes.  I discussed this with the manager when I signed my new lease.  She said they just do not like guns on the property.  You can have a gun inside your apartment, but you violate your lease when you step outside your door while carrying.  I said it looks like you cannot even defend yourself without violating the lease.  She just shrugged and said nothing.  I have thought about moving to another complex, but I guess nearly every complex in the state will be using the same lease.  I am really depressed about this whole thing. 

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 07:10:21 PM »
Technically you violate the lease when you take the weapon into the apartment the 1st time I guess you can't have any weapon without having violated the lease? What are the other options on the lease that could be checked if an apartment complex was less anti-gun?

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 07:19:05 AM »
Neighbor, the other options on the lease are only less severe in one way - they allow transporting the weapon from my apartment to my car.  The one option that they checked doesn't even allow that.  Frankly, I can't understand their attitude.  I bet most people don't bother to read the fine print on their lease - I do.  I have discussed this issue with people I know who live in a rent controlled complex and they tell me they are not even allowed to possess a gun if they live there.  Seems our treasured 2nd amend rights are extremely relative.  Since Texas passed open carry (many saw it as a loosening of gun restrictions) I have seen more places where guns are not allowed than ever before.  As a result I only carry occasionally, and I wonder if the whole endeavor is really worthwhile. 

LucasMcCain

• I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 11:34:46 AM »
As always, IANAL. However, they are not legally allowed to prevent you from having a gun in your residence or your car or from transporting said gun from your residence to your car and back. This is assuming you are legally allowed to possess said gun, of course. They can say they will evict you if you do so, but you could sue them for doing so. They can restrict you from carrying while walking around the complex, while in the office, at the pool, going to check the mail, etc. That's about it, though. Just conceal when going between car and apartment and don't worry about it. I guess if you have long guns you might get a case for them so that you aren't just walking to your car with a gun in your hand. That's your call, but legally you really should be fine. If you want confirmation about exactly what they can and can't restrict you might post in the Ask the Lawyers section, or search to see if someone has already asked about this. Hope this helps.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
Guess I need to count my blessings in regard to concealed carry. Here in rural East Texas I haven't seen many new 30.06 or 30.07 restrictions since January 1st. Perhaps I just don't frequent anti-gun places, but seldom do I have to disarm to go where I want to (and I do look for signs).  I have my own place in the country so don't have to worry about apartments or rental restrictions.  I carry most everywhere I go.