Author Topic: 3rd party  (Read 2093 times)

Pat2549314526@gmail.com

3rd party
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
 having a chl do I have obligation to help someone else like a EMT does at a accident example in store and armed robber comes in do I have to act or let him go I know each situation is different but if I don't act can I get in truble

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: 3rd party
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »
I am no lawyer and will let a real lawyer answer your question, but I would like to tell you that in Texas an EMT has no legal duty to act at an accident if he just happens to be there. He or she may have a moral duty to act, but that is something they have to deal with themselves.

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
IF an EMT does act, he has to remain on scene and treat said patient until he is relieved by someone w/the same or higher credentials.
However, to answer you question, NO you have no duty to get involved.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 07:58:35 AM »
No lawyer but you have no duty. Unless your trained for this which your not because your asking then act carefully. If your inner sheepdog is coming out then get trained or become a sheepdog. Even then there are no guarantees that you will be able to pull it off. Be a good witness. Winning the fight at that moment isn't as important as winning in the long run. Your life or those you are protecting becomes endangered well that changed the game.   
Read this article too as they bring up good points.

https://americanhandgunner.com/to-intervene-or-not/

Also thanks for caring enough to even ask. It's a rarity in our society to care.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 02:10:38 PM »
Pat,

Under Texas Law, the average person has no duty to come to the defense of another, so long as that actor was not the cause of the situation or occurrence.