Author Topic: 30.07 is a Bad Choice  (Read 15880 times)

Colonel

• View Profile
30.07 is a Bad Choice
« on: January 17, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »
Any business choosing to display a 30.07 sign is making a bad choice. That choice is setting their customers up as crime victims. A 30.07 sign has no effect on a criminal since criminals will not open carry, especially in Texas.

National statistics verify that licensed carriers are less likely to commit a crime than law enforcement people. Anyone licensed to carry (LTC) a handgun (concealed or openly) in Texas has been very thoroughly vetted by the state.

To  openly carry a handgun in Texas, a person is vetted the same as concealed carry and accepts the further restriction that law enforcement may stop them at any time to verify their LTC. It is therefore prudent and logical that a person not licensed to carry will not openly carry due to the higher possibility of being stopped by the police. Make no mistake that there are criminals among us carrying concealed. The result is that open carriers are even more likely (99.99%) to be the good guy who willingly puts his life on the line to protect citizens.

The more open carriers the better. Lots of open carriers send a very clear picture to would-be criminals to forget committing their crime because there is a higher probability that they will be stopped. This is the same logic as criminals not committing a crime when uniformed police are present. Citizens and businesses need to realize that open carriers are an effective, no-cost supplement to police that does have a positive effect on reducing crime. Businesses would be better off if they had a 30.06 sign plus a welcome open carriers sign, but then criminals will still ignore the 30.06 sign.

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: 30.07 is a Bad Choice
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
Perhaps there are more concerns to a business owner than "just security". If the owner has reason to believe that the majority of his regular clients would not continue to shop at his store if he allows open carry, then being able to remain in business would seem to take priority. He might feel he can allow concealed carry and not alienate his normal clientel. I am not opposed to open carry, but realize that for some folks it is more "in your face" and business owners have to decide based on more than one factor.

Colonel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 04:44:30 PM »
Neighbor, you are exactly correct which I understand completely. HEB is a prime example of what you just said. It will take years for the public to become comfortable with seeing open carry. The point of what I wrote is to provide a logical argument for business owners to consider as part of their decision making process. Too many people have knee-jerk reactions regarding open carry without considering there might be something positive.

Kyle45preferred

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
Neighbor, you are exactly correct which I understand completely. HEB is a prime example of what you just said. It will take years for the public to become comfortable with seeing open carry. The point of what I wrote is to provide a logical argument for business owners to consider as part of their decision making process. Too many people have knee-jerk reactions regarding open carry without considering there might be something positive.

But Police officers can open carry all day long, and no one bats an eye? HEB did alienate it's clientele, they do not have armed security on their premises, at least in San Antonio. And Walmart it hasn't cut into their bottom line. I can perhaps understand for small businesses, but that's where you know your customers. And why restrict someone else freedom, and if you have enough people open carrying, they are most likely to spend at your store and buy products. They are the rich clients you want with money. I disagree with the 30.06 sign, I like the logic, but someone may conceal carry for their job, and it would be a hassle to put on an OWB holster and etc. But I agree hopefully more people will open carry. Not trying to come off as rude.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 05:11:01 PM »
Since open carry passed I have seen exactly one person actually doing it.  It was at a Carl's Jr. restaurant here in Houston.  He as carrying an "old" revolver stuck in a belt holster with a baggy t-shirt tucked in behind it.  I doubt he could have drawn that weapon quickly given his shirt was tangled around it.