Author Topic: New Firearms Bill Introduced in Tennessee  (Read 3300 times)

Colonel

• View Profile
New Firearms Bill Introduced in Tennessee
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:23:44 PM »
I saw this morning that a new bill has been introduced in the Tennessee Legislature that would allow victims to sue a business if the business is designated a gun-free (kill) zone and a victim with a carry permit is hurt because the victim was denied their constitutional rights.

Personally, I think this should apply to ALL persons hurt in a gun-free zone because the perp potentially targeted the location due to the gun free zone as was done in San Bernardino, the Aurora, CO theater and numerous other locations including college campuses. Rights under the Constitution do not depend on permission from a state.

CongoHarry

• View Profile
Re: New Firearms Bill Introduced in Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »
I'm not an attorney, but I did play Clarence Darrow in my college production of "Inherit the Wind." Ahem, could be dicey, adversely impacting private property rights.  Better solution: you don't like my gun?  You don't get my money.  I make it a point to never go anywhere my gun isn't welcome.  I prefer to tell the owners I'm spending my money elsewhere and tell them why.  From what I've seen around these parts, 30.06 signs go away when the business starts losing patrons because of it.       

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: New Firearms Bill Introduced in Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:32:36 PM »
I'm not big on suing, but why does there have to be a law that says you can? If the conditions were right (i.e. person specifically disarmed because of signage and then was harmed while in that same business), I would expect someone to try it - law or no law.
CongoHarry, I also avoid businesses that post 30.06, but often wonder if they really care. Does it have an impact?