Author Topic: Carrying on Federal property  (Read 2452 times)

yabu

• View Profile
Carrying on Federal property
« on: January 31, 2016, 06:21:35 AM »
It's my understanding that the Army Corps of Engineers controls the property of George Bush Park since it is part of a flood control reservoir.  Since guns are prohibited on property under COE control, how is it that the American Shooting Center gun range is able to operate there.  And, what exemption exists that allows the public to carry guns on the property when they go to the gun range?  I know my ignorance of Federal law is showing here.   

Metag

Re: Carrying on Federal property
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 02:12:27 PM »
Not a lawyer, but...

36 CFR 327.13   Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.

(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:

(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;

(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;

(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or

(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.

(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
Ah ha, (a) (3) seems to address my question.  Thanks.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 04:27:33 PM »
yabu,

As is addressed above, there is specific statutory authorization for this situation.